Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: getting the horn button off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, the foam came later. My 1940 has a spring.

Posted on: 2023/7/7 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
That makes sense and thanks for answering my mystery for me.
Mine is a 37 and has a spring, but that is not to say someone may have added the foam in later years as an 'improvement'. No cross-linked polyethylene foam technology back then for sure!
When you figure the only plastics in the car were all phenolics based on vegetable oils (rotor, distributor cap, steering wheel etc.) it is not surprising that the foam would return to its elemental form over the decades.
Thanks again,
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 8:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sue L.
See User information
creative! but doable, I shall keep this in mind. Thank you.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 14:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Sue L.
See User information
Thank you, I like your suggestions and will try them first. Thanks for the visual too.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I have my wire shorted in the steering tube. What is the best way to get the wire out of the tube? It is stuck near the middle.

Thanks

Posted on: 2023/7/12 18:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It normally pulls out from the top. Make sure it's not hanging up at the bottom where it enters the steering box.

Posted on: 2023/7/12 18:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if the wire had insulation falling off right near the box which is a fairly common issue due to heat and grease, someone might have tried to tape the damaged area. Make sure there is no bulky tape around the wire or a terminal that is very large. Not sure about early models but if your steering box is the same as most Packard used mid 30s onward, the wire needs to pass thru a tube or conduit not much larger in ID than the wire diameter before it reaches the steering shaft.

It would also be a good idea to tie a length of strong but thin string on the end of the wire before you pull it thru. Having the string in place will make pulling a new wire down and help the end to enter the small tube much easier. Several have reported dental floss works well for this.

Attach file:

jpg  box.jpg (147.76 KB)
209_64af3e6a4ef8d.jpg 1520X862 px

jpg  tube.jpg (50.60 KB)
209_64af4b5031f34.jpg 988X1084 px

Posted on: 2023/7/12 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Howard is absolutely right. Pull the whole aged wire out and replace it with a new 10 AWG one. Cut the connector off at the bottom of the old wire so it pulls smoothly up out of the steering tube. Use the old one for a pattern to cut the new wire length and solder it to the horn button.
I used a fine mechanics wire to act as a fish line to pull it down the tube, (note that it is spiralled below the horn button to ease strain while turning). Attach a new connector at the bottom after threading to complete the circuit.
The action of steering alone let alone the hostile environment at the base of the steering box in the engine compartment and open to harsh conditions off the road while driving over the decades takes its toll.
Have fun!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/12 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Howard/Bob:

That worked like a dream. I used a stiff steel rod to clear out the old wire/insulation/muck. Pulled a new wire thru. (The picture definitively helped)

Thanks for the guidance. Now I have a working horn again!

BZ,
Gar

Posted on: 2023/7/13 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Fantastic, I am so happy for you. So nice to have a project go so well.
Beep Beep!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 20:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved