Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Clipper Custom Touring 4dr; Stuck in reverse??
Just popping in
Just popping in

Deaty
See User information
Hi all! I'm new to Packards, being an Aircooled VW/Classic Mopar man almost my entire life.

I recently picked up a '55 Clipper Custom with a 352 and a two speed ultramatic. The shifter feels fairly loose, but the linkage is confirmed to be moving not only from the column, but also on the transmission.

However, even after starting, or parked with the engine off, and no matter the position of the shifter, the car will not come out of reverse.

This car is parked on solid, flat, level ground; yet it refuses to come out of reverse. I have tried moving the linkage on the side of the transmission in every conceivable direction to no avail. It is full of fluid, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong unless it is something internal.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2023/8/9 18:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Clipper Custom Touring 4dr; Stuck in reverse??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a chance it is internal. A lever is held by a setscrew to the shaft rotated by the lever on the outside. The inside lever is made of potmetal and the threads for the setscrew are known to strip letting the screw loosen or fall out completely. Once the screw is loose or out, the lever is free to rotate on the shaft and cannot move the selector valve.

If you disconnect the outside linkage and grab hold of the outer lever, once out of the park position there should be no discernible play between positions as you move from one gear to another. The detents are in the valve body and in park and neutral the valve body is in the neutral configuration. Rotating the lever after leaving neutral, each of the drive and reverse positions will have a distinct detent. If there is any slop you need to check the setscrew. If the lever is stripped, the screw will not hold and you will need to add a roll pin. Even if it still tightens, for peace of mind tighten it gently, set the lock nut, and drill a hole thru the lever and shaft to install a roll pin.

If the lever is still tightly attached to the shaft, one other possibility is the link connecting the lever to the manual valve and detent has lost a pin on either end. If that has happened the valve and transmission will stay in whatever gear it was in when the pin fell out.

Here are the two suspect things to check. Both can be checked by draining the fluid and dropping the pan. If the pan comes off, you may need a new gasket. Before replacing also use a straightedge to verify the bolt hole locations in the pan have not been distorted by bolts being too tight. If the metal has been pushed out of line the new gasket will leak. A few gentle taps at any distorted hole using a small hammer to level the holes is all it takes to get things good again.

Attach file:

jpg  setscrew.jpg (97.51 KB)
209_64d42af17cc51.jpg 1206X1018 px

jpg  pin.jpg (97.66 KB)
209_64d42b006c56f.jpg 1194X1074 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 19:13
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Deaty, to PackardInfo and for including your '55 Clipper in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

However, I'm concerned your Clipper may not be correctly identified in the Registry. As per the image below, the MODEL BODY your showing is 5522 while the VIN NUMBER is 5562-4551. I could be wrong(somebody correct me{gently} if I am), but I thought the Body Number and the first section of the VIN Number should be the same. I.E 5522 OR 5562 for both. Fixing this, if it is an issue, can be done by going in and editing your Registry entry to reflect the correct designation.

Attach file:

jpg  55 Model Year.JPG (58.67 KB)
226_64d43d01e0f3d.jpg 971X537 px

jpg  Model VIN Number.JPG (14.49 KB)
226_64d43d4021fcf.jpg 248X265 px

Posted on: 2023/8/9 20:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, they should match.

Posted on: 2023/8/9 21:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Deaty
See User information
My door plate does read 5562-4551. Was it possible it could have been swapped? I don't see any signs of anything being removed, but yet again with its age, anything is possible.

Posted on: 2023/8/19 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am wondering where you found the 5522 number. As Oz said, the numbers were posted in two places -- engine and door jamb -- and should be the same on both. The door jamb number is the official VN but if the engine were swapped it would be the mismatch and is a frequently found issue when failed engines were replaced with one coming from a junkyard car. If that is where you found it the engine would be a 320 from the base Clipper Deluxe model instead of the 352 that should be in a Clipper Custom.

Here is the chart showing the possible combinations.

Attach file:

jpg  55 chassis and body.jpg (173.92 KB)
209_64e12faa9b20b.jpg 1599X766 px

Posted on: 2023/8/19 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You said it was a 55 Clipper Custom 4dr and the VIN begins with 5562. That's perfectly correct.

If the engine says 5522 then it was swapped from a 55 Clipper Deluxe.

Posted on: 2023/8/19 20:06
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved