Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Supercharged Packard Straight Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Stole" this pic from an Aussie Model A Ford Facebook page. Page didn't contain any info about the setup.

Attach file:

jpg  Supercharged Packard Straigh Eight.jpg (62.47 KB)
226_64d578e37f2cb.jpg 526X790 px

Posted on: 2023/8/10 18:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Re: Supercharged Packard Straight Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
All one can say is, "That's unique. Of all the possible means of supercharging a Packard I8, that's one that never occurred to me.

The builder was a very good machinist, an even better welder, conceptually on a plane of his own.

jack vines

Posted on: 2023/8/10 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have that picture on my phone, and I don't recall where I got it. I have studied it. Looks to be a royal PITA to change some middle spark plugs. I guess that the blower is center engine to align the pulley with the crank. I'm not sure that matters.

Also, I think I'd split the headers. Four for 3 - 7 and the other set for 1 and 2 and 7 and 8.

Posted on: 2023/8/11 4:45
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...I suspect that that machine must politely Haul Ass! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/8/11 17:08
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Supercharged Packard Straight Eights.

I believe I'm correct in attributing the Panther photo to Leon Dixon. The others are factory photos.

Attach file:

jpg  Experimental 6th series.jpg (277.07 KB)
177_64d6b8ba6881f.jpg 1500X1073 px

jpg  Experimental 6th series 2.jpg (378.19 KB)
177_64d6b8dbc801a.jpg 1500X1120 px

jpg  PantherSupercharger sm.jpg (211.24 KB)
177_64d6bbb6990c7.jpg 1125X1500 px

Posted on: 2023/8/11 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
A supercharged Packard st8 hot rod has shown up at the Pikes peak Hill climb and at Bonneville Speed Week in past years. Videos of the car on youtube:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a27033329/supercharged-straight-8-engine-sound/

Attach file:

jpg  packard st8 supercharged.jpg (326.77 KB)
1136_64d6bd5f9724a.jpg 1920X1427 px

Posted on: 2023/8/11 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
We've kicked the tires on this before. I've never been convinced this is worth the effort. The max. boost is determined by the flat head pressure rating, which isn't stellar as a flat piece of iron, so even if it can hold 15-20 psig without gasket blowing, that's not much HP. Plus one needs to enhance the spark system for igniting pressure charges. Yes, ~twice HP what was stock(circa 130), but still way low to current stds. <<300. HP/wt ratio still sucks as very heavy engine blocks. Of course, hot rodding is/was more about cool factor in some respects. I'd choose a turbo as it's not parasitic and can vent boost. There's several of those around or pictures of same. The supercharger typically has fuel mixed in and spins relative to the rpm, so care has to be taken to not scatter things at WOT. Much like a run-away condition can occur. Typical at the drag strip to see a blower explosion back in the day and why they came up with the fragment jackets/blankets. Now with computers and new materials, it's a better HP world. One can take a LS block and make 1000 HP for less than $10K these days. I wouldn't even ride in some of these rat rods. They're not safe. Cool maybe, safe not most.

Posted on: 2023/8/26 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I've looked at both, and I'm still looking. No decisions. I do think that, if a body can get 300 horses in a 3750-pound car and have a bunch of gears with it, it would be impressive if not record-setting. I'd like to be the first kid in my neighborhood with a blown inline 8.

Posted on: 2023/8/27 4:28
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Forced induction addresses some inherent issues with flathead engines, particularly volumetric efficiency and limited compression, and it can do so without compromising driveability or requiring very high RPM.

In the case of Packard engines, you have a fundamentally good engine design with a good bottom end and lubrication system.

Moderate boost could give a 120 8 cylinder engine a substantial horsepower and torque boost at useable RPM without penalities in driveability or durability.

I believe you could get up around 160 HP at 3600 RPM and 270 ft lbs torque at about 2300 RPM without destroying the engine, unless you drive like a 16 year old boy with a quart of gin in him.

That's a difference you could feel in a stock Packard.

Posted on: 2023/8/27 6:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you don't mind putting modern stuff on you old car, an electonric fuel injection system combined with a nitrous injection system and electronic ignition might be a better path to higher horsepower on demand.

Posted on: 2023/8/27 7:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved