Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Mechanical fuel pump and electric is it possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
As long as there is fuel in the tank, the clicker type pump should stop clicking within a few seconds of turning it on.
If it clicks more than 15 or 20 seconds, you probably need to check for a leak or a flooding carburetor. A Leak could occur anywhere on the pressure side of the system, including the flex line and the fuel pump diaphragm.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 18:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
I have read a number of posts on the AACA forum where people have installed low pressure electric pumps in series with mechanical ones not only for the reasons described above, but to deal with vapor lock problems arising from ethanol-containing gas and hot suer days. It seems like a good way to go would be to use the electric pump to get some gas into the carburetor for starting, and turn it off. Turn it back on temporarily if vapor lock occurs.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 19:50
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
I've tried this approach before on my 37, as many have stated, to prime if it's been sitting awhile. Did some research and supposedly had gotten the correct electric pump (Airtex E8902),but when I would accelerate the car to about 55mph it would start to sputter. Seems like the fuel was being slightly restricted through the electric fuel pump. Pulled the electric fuel pump off and that fixed it. I need to try to find another electric fuel pump that'll work more so now that I'm dealing with a bit of the vapor lock issues when it's hot out.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A bypass loop with check valve would probably cure your issue. It's also possible you have a restriction in your system other than the electric pump.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
A bypass loop with check valve would probably cure your issue. It's also possible you have a restriction in your system other than the electric pump.

Might have to look into a check valve you describe. Mechanical fuel pump has been rebuilt, gas tank has been cleaned. I tried the electric fuel pump with and without the filter.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Digger Dave,
Trust me - if your engine is rebuilt properly, you won't need the assist on long hills. I can't believe the power my 245 CU has after being completely machined. Hills that used to require a downshift, I now steam up in high gear!
Chris.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 19:47
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1939 Six and 1940 110 were the same. The 245 is a great engine!

Posted on: 2023/10/16 20:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

MichaelF350
See User information
I used a pump from our 88 Honda accord mounted back by the tank. Works great on my 35 120.

Mike

Posted on: 2/10 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
To stray just a little off topic, but I wanted to add a comment. My '51 had an electric pump in series with the mechanical one (which didn't work) when I purchased the car. The pump would start when the key was turned on which made it very convenient.

I decided to rewire the pump so that it had to be turned on with a switch. I hid the switch inside the driver's side ash tray such that it could be turned on or off by opening the ash tray.
I did this as an anti-thief measure figuring with the pump off, the car would start and run for a bit then stop. Leaving the thief & car part way out of a parking spot and wondering what to do with a car that would not start.

Posted on: 2/11 5:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I have a Carter 6 volt rotary vane fuel pump mounted close to my tank on rear frame rail. Even though the tank has been pulled, cleaned, repaired and sealed I installed a 10 micron filter on inlet to the pump and a fuel pressure regulator (1-6 psi) on pump discharge to control fuel pressure at carb 3.5 - 4 psi. I removed the mechanical pump and sealed off opening with a plate. It works quite well - does not drain precious battery amperage trying to operate mechanical pump, I do not have to worry about fuel leaking past the diaphragm into crank case, the potential for vapor lock significantly reduced and probably saved a horsepower or two by removing the mechanical pump.

Posted on: 2/14 15:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved