Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Looking for a upper bell housing for a manual 23rd series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
What other years will fit for my 327 to match into an R11? Probably just 1950-51?

Posted on: 12/15 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for a upper bell housing for a manual 23rd series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Taking this and your other thread in the Post-War Forum concerning swapping in an OD trans it seems that you're converting an Ultramatic equipped Packard to one with a manual transmission. Therefore, besides a bellhousing, you'll need a manual flywheel, clutch pressure plate, clutch plate, throw-out bearing, clutch pedal and linkages as well as the gear shift lever and linkages, maybe even a complete steering column as the gear shift levers and linkages are integral to that in a manually equipped car, at a minimum to make it work. Maybe a parts car complete with all the essential bits might be the way to go?

Posted on: 12/16 0:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Yes I need all those parts, but I’m trying not to need to get an entire other car.

Posted on: 12/16 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Understandable but it is ultimately far easier and less costly to have a parts car with what you need. By the time you buy everything individually, you will have put in quite a fortune and to what end?

Posted on: 12/16 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If I remember correctly, it was maybe 1975, I had a 356 crank from a ‘48 ultramatic converted to my manual ‘40 tranny by machining a beveled disk and adding that or machining the end of the crank. Cant quite remember, other than I didn’t replace the crank.

Posted on: 12/16 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

BlakesPackards wrote:
Yes I need all those parts, but I’m trying not to need to get an entire other car.

Here's my , unless your current car is VERY nice for the price, I would just sell it and buy one already with a manual. They made tons of both in these years and whether you get a parts car or get the parts individually it will be far more expensive and more work than trading cars. I can understand manual-swapping a V8 car because only about 3% of them, all Clippers, were equipped with manuals, but not here.

Additionally, the 48-50 Packards are surely the most affordable of any years in the current market.

Posted on: 12/16 12:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Not sure on the condition you would be looking at getting but if you are looking to get a different car there is a 23rd series Packard for sale in Salt Lake City, Utah. The guy told me he would sell it for 4,000.
The link for the listing is here.

Posted on: 12/17 0:56

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Nice idea but I only need an OD and a few extra parts, and don’t have the room or the room in the budget for another car

Posted on: 12/17 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In that case, all I can say is good luck and I hope you have a second mortgage available! Just kidding but for the bell housing, just take a look in the parts book (Factory Parts List) as there are very few if any differences between them from the very early ‘40s up to 1954. Although it would look a little different, I even tried a 1940 110 bell housing on a ‘50s 327 and was surprised that it fit. The parts book will indicate direct replacements but a direct replacement isn’t always necessary. Personally I would rebuild the Ultramatic but it’s not my car.

Posted on: 12/17 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Check with gerry

Psw.

He may have most of it.

Posted on: 12/17 17:20
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved