Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Mark Graber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine ID
Just popping in
Just popping in

Talemon
See User information
Hey I’m new to this site. Looking for info and it came up on a google search.
I don’t have a Packard car , just an engine and a transmission. I’m building a one of a kind hot rod!
It’s a’29 Ford Sport Coupe. I’m using a Packard straight 8 and trans in it.
The number on the block ,drivers side ,rear is
H 284452 and there is a casting mark,drivers side on the bottom of the block
5-4-50. Is this a 1950 model? What is the engine cubic inch size ? What is the horsepower ?
I also need a throw out bearing and shift linkage.
And it would probably be a good idea to install a new water pump.
Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 1/23 15:45
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Engine ID
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Talemon,
to PackardInfo.

Information regarding Packard Engine Serial Numbers can be found in the Packard Engine Serial Numbers Reference document in the Literature Archive section of this Website. I have extracted the information you're after and attached it below.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Plus being very interested in Model A Fords, my first car was a Model A, I'm more than curious to see how your Packard Engine swap goes. Please keep us posted.

EDIT - Click on image to enlarge it.

Posted on: 1/23 16:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a more complete list of the numbers. The engine is interesting as far as numbers and dates. At that time Packard produced cars as series that might be sold over more than one calendar year so the 22nd and 23rd series cars sort of overlapped, each series being in production for about 18 months and were for all practical purposes except for trim, identical. 22nd series was sold 48 to mid 49 and the H in your engine number would indicate it is from a 23rd series which was sold from mid 49 thru 50. The number would suggest it was produced and sold as part of the 49 calendar year but the casting date being May of 50 is somewhat anomalous for it being a 49 engine even though the motor number would indicate it was very late 49 production.
Click to see original Image in a new window

As to the throwout bearing and linkage, if you have the carrier for the bearing still in the bellhousing then bearings can be obtained separately but if that and linkage is missing then you may need to find a parts car. Possibly one of the Packard vendors will have a carrier for the bearing so you might check with Kanter Auto, Max Merritt, Tucson Packards or even Packards Southwest might have one. Since you are installing the engine and trans in another frame and body doubtful Packard linkage would be exactly what you need. Possibly it will require you to fabricate your own rods and whatever else linkage wise is needed to fit your particular installation. You can get an idea of what Packard did with linkage by looking at the parts manual illustrations. The clutch pieces are in another part and can be viewed here. Repro and maybe rebuilt water pumps are available from vendors Kanter Auto, Max Merritt and maybe Tucson Packards.

Posted on: 1/23 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Sounds like a nice project. The Packard engine should pull it along nicely without being too overpowered.

Do you have a manual trans or Ultramatic?

Posted on: 1/23 17:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Talemon
See User information
Thank you for the info.

Posted on: 1/23 20:32
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Talemon
See User information
Thank you so much for the chart and advice ,it will be very helpful moving forward.

Posted on: 1/23 20:33
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Be advised that combo weighs in around 1000 lbs for 135 HP and will be quite front heavy in an "A" and be longer than a flat 8.
May require frame mods, sectioning, etc.
There are examples on the internet, some turbo charged.

Posted on: 1/24 10:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved