Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

pw master switch clips
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
These seem to be no longer available. ( have tried max, kantner, and restoration specialties ) Any suggestions on attaching the switch to the door? I am considering cementing the trim gasket to the back of the switch bezel and then using double faced tape to stick the switch to the door panel.
Happy

Posted on: 1/24 18:05
 Top  Print   

Re: pw master switch clips
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can you post a picture of the clip in question?

Posted on: 1/24 18:11
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The clip is multipurpose and holds the switch in the bezel as well as holding bezel in the door. If any of the protruding tabs break off or if the clip breaks at the bend the clip is in one or more functions useless.

Cadillac in that time period used switches that functioned and looks the same electrically but I do not know if theirs are the same physical size or if they are held in their bezels the same way. One of the Cadillac vendors has new or repro switches and think it was the same vendor where Packard Don bought his repro BTV casting. Maybe Don can repost the name and then it may be worth a check to see if possibly that vendor might have clips and if they are the same.

If no clips can be found, I don't know if the tape would work because there is not much surface on the back of the bezel for the tape to stick to and hold it to the door. That still leaves how to hold the switch in the bezel as there is not much room between switch and bezel for anything but a thin clip. Figuring out the best way to hold it would need some experimenting. Possibly using bondo or something similar to fill the hollow parts of bezel to provide a flat and smooth surface might work with the door part but depending on how much is needed the extra tape thickness might also cause the bezel to stick out enough to be visible or be vulnerable to being bumped and knocked loose.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2693.jpeg (41.09 KB)
209_65b1a96c76aee.jpeg 316X744 px

jpeg  IMG_2697.jpeg (33.79 KB)
209_65b1a97c18d6f.jpeg 790X721 px

Posted on: 1/24 19:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Howard. I wonder how much it would cost to repro these. Especially if only the one large bend was done by a vendor, and the smaller bends done by the end user, probably would be affordable even for a small batch. Will look into it sometime I think.

Posted on: 1/24 20:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd check with Gerry at Packards Southwest or Mike Dulinski in MN. They may have coffee cans full of them.

Posted on: 1/24 21:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Unfortunately I don’t recall the name of the place for sure but I think it was Caddy Daddy. A Google search should bring it up. As for the clips, I was wondering the same thing as I have some switches that are missing the clips that hold them in place and are missing whatever retains the connector to them. Caddy Daddy has lots of window switch clips for Cadillacs of various years but I am not sure how close they are to those used on Packards.

Posted on: 1/25 3:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Thanks for the interest and feedback. I thought that I had a picture of the clip but could not locate it. Thanks for the posting. Before going the glue route, I will remove the passenger’s side (single switch ) and see how it compares to the posted photos. I am thinking that steel strapping might work if I can anneal it, shape it, and reharden it.

Happy

Posted on: 1/25 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Forgot to mention. I have a couple decent ones. Not a couple switches but a couple springs total. But if you need them let me know.

Posted on: 2/5 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Yes. Thanks, I would like them. I don't do pay pal. but can send a check.
Happy

Posted on: 2/6 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I bought some in September and looking at the charges on my card, it was either Tucson Packard or Merritt.

Posted on: 2/6 17:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved