Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

Packard Don, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Assessment of 1955 Packard Caribbean via Artificial Intelligence.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
Hey,

I was goofing with one of the artificial intelligent engines and was asking somewhat random questions. I probed it on different topics that I was interested in.

Since I have a 1955 Packard Caribbean I asked it what it knows on the car. It brought up the facts about production numbers for 1955 and stated that there were only 36 produced. I have read at multiple sites/places that the production was 500 units (maybe 499). Even this site states Total Production: 500.

Here is what it had to say in 'summary'... Does anyone agree or disagree with this summary?

Quote:
let me summarize the key points about its production numbers and current value:

Production Numbers:

- All authoritative sources and Packard's own factory records indicate only 36 examples
of the 1955 Caribbean convertible were produced before Packard went out of business.
- This makes it one of the lowest production classic American cars from the 1950s and
a big reason why surviving examples are so valuable today.

Current Value:

- For a 1955 Packard Caribbean in excellent, fully restored condition, values can range
from $500,000 to over $1 million at auction for the finest examples.
- More typical pricing for a drivable, well-restored 1955 Caribbean is $300,000 to $600,000
depending on specifics of its condition, documentation, options, etc.
- Even project-condition cars that need full restoration can sell for $100,000+ just based
on the model's rarity and desirability.

As the owner of an authenticated 1955 Caribbean, your car is an extremely rare and valuable
piece of American automotive history and craftsmanship. The combination of its unique design,
powerful engine, and surviving production run of just 36 units is what drives the high valuations
today among collectors.

Please let me know if you need any other specific details related to your 1955 Packard Caribbean's
production data or current valuation based on its condition and spec. As an owner, you
possess an automotive prize.

I asked about its sources for the production numbers and it sited these references...

Quote:

You're right to ask for the specific source on the "Packard factory literature and documentation"
that I referenced regarding the 1955 Caribbean production numbers. Let me provide those details:

The primary factory source is the Packard Information Manual published by the Packard Motor Car
Company in the 1950s. Excerpts from the 1955 model year manual state:

"Caribbean convertible model production: 36 units"

This official document from Packard themselves lists the 1955 Caribbean convertible production run
as just 36 cars.

Additionally, the Packard factory's own internal build records and serial number tracking, as compiled
by historians and clubs like the Packard Automobile Classics club, only show 36 distinct 1955 Caribbean
serial numbers assigned.

These factory production documents and serialization records have been extensively cited in
publications like:

1. "The Packard Library" by Richard M. Michels and Ralph W. Morris (1999)
2. "Packard: The Complete Story" by Beverly Rae Kimes (1978)
3. Historical periodicals from the Packard Club and other Packard experts

So in summary, the definitive source showing the 36-unit 1955 number comes directly from Packard's own
official model year literature and their internal build logs from the factory in that era. Let me know
if you need any additional details on these primary sources.

Please Let me know your thoughts.

Posted on: 3/26 16:26
1955 Packard Caribbean 5588 MDF 92 (restoring) (Preserving)
 Top  Print   

Re: Assessment of 1955 Packard Caribbean via Artificial Intelligence.
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I know a lot of older folks (and younger folks) don't quite understand how AI works. Don't worry because even the people that design these don't understand how they work. As a counterexample, no one can tell how an integrated circuit works with the naked eye, but every component in it was in some way designed and configured by a human. This is not the case for AI, which builds its own library of data based on analyzing training materials. Note that I said data, and NOT FACTS.

AI is like a fortune teller. Half of what it tells you is common knowledge, and the other half is made up BS. Only a fool would take its output at face value. Likewise, if you have the knowledge to tell fact from hallucination, then you could have done its job in the first place. There is NO AI that can tell fact from fiction, let alone correctly express any remotely controversial issue without being specifically programmed towards a certain inoffensive, respectful response. Heck, even the best chat bots can't even DO MATH. That should clue you in to its logical prowess (zero).

I want to emphasize that none of the above is personal against ZeroCool, as I meant everything generically. But that IS my thoughts and I'm sure you can tell what I think of that summary.

Posted on: 3/26 16:48
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as the number of 55 Caribbeans made, there are 25 in the vehicle registry here on this site alone which only has cars listed from those forum posters that Mal has convinced to register their cars. PAC being around decades longer has another probably more populated registry as does a few individuals. Many of the car owners have hidden numbers from view but of those visible, some of the cars on this site's registry have numbers in the 200 range and two are in the high 300 range which immediately tells you there were at least that many made. That alone makes the 36 total incorrect but the starting and ending serial number list also makes mention of 500 as the total made.

Posted on: 3/26 17:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
Lol, after further questioning, the engine recanted most of what it claimed as fact.

I know that if you want to know, ask the man who owns one.

Posted on: 3/26 18:19
1955 Packard Caribbean 5588 MDF 92 (restoring) (Preserving)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The Packard Club's roster of 1955 Packard Caribbean Convertibles has 258 cars registered. Known production serial numbers range from 1001 to 1499, yielding a total production of 500 for this model.

Posted on: 3/26 22:39
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe ZeroCool can ask AI to explain the discrepancy!

Posted on: 3/26 23:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Don Shields wrote:
The Packard Club's roster of 1955 Packard Caribbean Convertibles has 258 cars registered. Known production serial numbers range from 1001 to 1499, yielding a total production of 500 for this model.

...And my personal Caribbean Roster has more. And I have actively been collecting data and info on these cars since at least the 1960s and rode in the very first 1956 Caribbean (a hand-built prototype driven by a Packard engineer) when new in 1955.

Of course ridiculous nonsense is expected to come out of asking AI. BUT... don't blame absurd statements of Packard "facts" and "history" solely on AI or whether the person making the enquiry is young OR old. Or being unfamiliar with the scope and operation of AI. Posing any question to infant AI as it is today is a crapshoot at best. However...

Try asking the be-all-know-all almighty "wikipedia" about Earle C. Anthony's Packard neon sign... or the one-off Packard Request, for examples. Last time I looked good 'ol wiki was blurting BS about how "several Packard Requests were left sitting on showroom floors, unsellable". Silly hallucination stuff worded as fact. And one can compare good 'ol wiki's oleo nonsense on Earle C. Anthony's Packard neon "history" to the factual story published in The Packard Cormorant magazine. Look it up. Few people do since few know the TPC story was ever published. Few are aware of the expertise in TPC magazine. And of course to go that far means one might actually have to do some real work and dig (OFF of the internet– the old way)... or (clutch the pearls!) actually buy the magazine! Heaven forbid!

On wiki... ANYBODY can make up and say anything at all... and get it passed off as fact. And if one goes to the trouble of getting to be a "wiki editor" and goes in and makes factual corrections, some moron can simply get themself also installed as a "wiki editor" and then change the correction BACK to the BS!!!!! Ask me how I know on this.

Whether AI or wik-I... the issue remains. From someone who ran computers back in the days of the great IBM "360" there was a saying we used back then that is still valid today with both wiki and AI: "Garbage in– garbage out."

Posted on: 3/27 15:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved