Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Ammeter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
New issue new thread to my 41 110….just rewired it back to 6 volt system with the help of many on this forum….started it up for first time and it fired right up, however, my ammeter needle is buried to the right and does not move at all when running or activating the lights…it’s a new voltage regulator and rebuilt generator all correct for car…I polarized the generator..the ammeter needle has been in this position since it was converted to 12 volts and they used an aftermarket battery gauge mounted under dash,,,so I’m wondering if my ammeter is not working or there is something wrong with the generator or regulator..I’m getting about 5.9 volts at the generator at idle and same at BATT and ARM terminals at regulator..my battery is at around 6 volts at idle and goes up about 6.6 when reving engine…any thoughts would be appreciated tks.
Or any ways to test regulator and generator …the literature I have found is pretty complicated for me to understand as a newbie

Posted on: 5/19 9:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Ammeter
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Is the ammeter even wired up?

Honestly I suspect the needle is just stuck. It should point at the middle when the car is off, and a 12V conversion should not damage an ammeter unless they did something stupid like passed a dead short through it sometime.

Posted on: 5/19 10:22
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
It may be stuck…took it for a 2 hour drive and battery was fully charged when I returned…so I’m assuming rebuilt generator and regulator are working correctly..

Posted on: 5/19 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah the only way that needle can be pegged that far up normally is if you have a healthy but very discharged battery, are driving at a good speed, and are using no accessories.

Posted on: 5/19 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This is from a 1940, but that delicate needle bends easily and can get stuck at either of those two tab stops OR be pressed too close to the face of the gauge. Sometimes tapping it from the outside will release it, but you may have tried that. Otherwise, remove it and see if it is simply stuck and returns to the center position when you release it. You'd have to remove it to replace it anyway.

Attach file:

jpg  AmpGauge.jpg (551.45 KB)
1067_664b662d7f798.jpg 800X1067 px

Posted on: 5/20 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok thanks…I just did a continuity test with and I’m getting continuity between the two terminals…I don’t know if that’s bad or good….I ran wires from both terminals and tested on battery ..there is a little spark at battery but no movement at needle..I can also see a piece of what looks like thin cardboard running from terminal to terminal it’s one piece that is bolted down by both terminal base nuts…I don’t know what that is either…any thoughts? Before I yank it…ok I just got a light on the needle and I believe you are right ..it looks like the needle went over the max stop and not stuck on the other side..I guess I’ll have to remove it…but thanks for the info..I never would have looked that close at the tabs…

Posted on: 5/20 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The cardboard is simply an insulator and by your description it seems that the gauge is physically stuck so will need to be removed for service.

Posted on: 5/20 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An ammeter is basically a loop of wire between the terminals and the size of the wire depends on how much current the ammeter is designed to handle since except for the starter motor almost all other current a car uses flows thru the ammeter. The loop can be actual wire or just a stamped piece of flat brass or copper bent in such a fashion as to form a loop. Using an ohmmeter to test between terminals should read a direct short but there should be no reading between either terminal and the case. The purpose of the cardboard is to keep the bulky wire terminals from touching the case if the wires got pulled or terminals are accidentally bent.

A simple explanation on operation is that as current passes thru the loop of wire it turns it into a weak electromagnet with north and south poles. That magnetism attracts a piece of iron that is also slightly magnetized and attached to the needle. When no current is flowing the needle is kept in the middle, sometimes by gravity of the piece of iron attached to the needle and in other designs by a small hairspring. In a simple car ammeter, if the car is charging the more the current is flowing from the generator thru the ammeter to the battery the stronger the magnetic field in the loop of wire will be and the more the needle moves. If the current flows in the opposite direction such as when a discharge is occurring from the battery the same thing happens only the magnetic poles in the loop of wire are reversed so the needle moves the opposite direction.

Posted on: 5/20 14:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jimmyk wrote:
Ok thanks…I just did a continuity test with and I’m getting continuity between the two terminals…I don’t know if that’s bad or good…

I politely suggest you review what an ammeter even is and how it's wired into the car's electrical system, if the answer is not obvious.

Quote:

Jimmyk wrote:
I ran wires from both terminals and tested on battery ..there is a little spark at battery but no movement at needle..

I wouldn't do this as you can damage your ammeter or the battery, though if you just tapped it briefly it's probably fine.

To me it just sounds like the needle is stuck. I would remove it an do a careful mechanical inspection.

Posted on: 5/20 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok ..I. Going to pull it today..thanks!

Posted on: 5/21 5:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved