Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
317 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 316

Orange-Lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard Patrician - Fluids
Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Hello to all! I have recently purchased a 1955 Packard Patrician and I want to make sure I am taking great care of it. How to check the various fluid levels (besides oil - figured that one out)? Also, what types of fluids that are the best to use?

Thank you in advance! I'm sorry if this has already been addressed.
Shawn

Posted on: 9/24 10:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard Patrician - Fluids
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Welcome Shawn, and congrats on being a Packard owner! There are a lot of differing opinions on fluids, but here are a few of my thoughts.

1.) Coolant - pop the radiator cap off and check the level inside as well as the color. Typically 50/50 antifreeze is fine. If you don't know the history of the car and when it was last serviced it would be a good idea to drain the coolant (petcock on the bottom of the radiator) and change it for fresh fluid. The coolant system will level itself. If you have too much it will blow out the overfill tube on your first drive.
2.) Engine oil - Dipstick to check the level, as you found. Typically 10w-30 is sufficient. 15w-40 for older engines can be beneficial (that's what I run, as it smokes less than 10w-30 in my car). Synthetic may tend to leak more around old seals. Brand isn't critical. Most modern oils have a good amount of zinc in them so you probably don't need to go for something special. That being said a lot of guys run Shell Rotella because of the additive package, myself included.
3.) Transmission - Check the Service Manual (found on this site) for specifics on procedure for checking it. I'm not familiar with the 55's but the earlier Ultramatics required the engine to be running to check the fluid level. Type F transmission fluid is what you want.
4.) Rear axle - Remove the upper fill plug on the differential housing and check the level. It should be level with the bottom of the fill hole. If not, add fluid. Not totally positive for 55 but I believe it's 90W gear oil.
5.) Check and oil the generator and starter motor. Depending on the model there should be oiling caps on them.

There's more but that's enough to get started.

-Kevin

Posted on: 9/24 11:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Kevin,
Thank you for the warm welcome and for the information! I am also looking how to check the powering steering fluid. I want to be a good caretaker but also enjoy driving the car. This is my first Packard to own though not my first classic car. My first car was a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook that I had for thirty-five years before selling to buy the Patrician.

Posted on: 9/24 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Adding to Kevin's list.

- The owner's manual lists the factory standard service. It is available in the Literature Archive on this site.
- Brake Fluid - Inspect the system and change the fluid. Brake fluid id hygroscopic (it absorbs water) which isn't good for the fluid or the brake parts. Wheel cylinders are relatively inexpensive to change. Hoses are also good to replace. Check the master cylinder reservoir, if it isn't clean and beautiful, rebuild it.
- The distributor, like the generator needs to be oiled.
- Check ALL of the hoses and replace if they need it or are questionable. When I started, I just replaced them all.
- There is a lubrication chart, grease all of the fittings. Make sure the old grease is coming out.

There are many discussions here on what types of fluids to use, you need to read and decide for yourself. I happen to prefer synthetics, but that is based on decades of race track experience.

You need to do enough to make the car reliable and fun so that you enjoy it.

Also, please add your car the the Vehicle Registry on this site.

Posted on: 9/24 12:07
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
56Clippers,
Thanks! I have registered my vehicle. If you look on the right side of the page, the third car down from the top is mine. If I need to do something else, please let me know.

Posted on: 9/24 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Beautiful car you have. I love that color combo. For the power steering, remove the cap from the reservoir and check inside. There should be a line scribed on the inside that indicates the fill level. Should be Dexron ATF for the power steering system.

-Kevin

Posted on: 9/24 12:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Thank you Kevin! Topaz and agate is the color scheme. I'm enjoying it very much.

Posted on: 9/24 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Vanya, please note that these cars (the power brake system used) is sensitive to old brake fluid. I highly recommend you change it every 2-3 years, which means to change it now unless you are certain it was recently done.

Not to scare you but brake failure is possible (with no warning) if you let the fluid get 10-15 years old and it starts to crystallize. For this reason, you will want to inspect the reservoir for crystals also.

By the way, this problem is the same for ALL mid-50's cars that use the Treadle-Vac system. Just something to be aware of.

Posted on: 9/24 13:56
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Vanya1953,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '55 Patrician in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 9/24 14:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved