Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 116

humanpotatohybrid, 56executive, Eugene Wescott, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Paint on 51 Packard (newbie)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The other thing with California and Lacquer is that unless you are going to spray it yourself, you not going to find a legal shop in California that will do to the VOC limits, and Environmental rules.

California is trying to set up booth licenses rules (similar to Liquor Licenses) to regulate the number of Paint Booths even allowed to operate in the State.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a related note, saw in the paper that Calif was finally granted the EPA waiver re the tougher mileage and emissions regs they had been seeking for 3 years. Don't remember when they go into effect - next year or one after. Will be interesting to see how the implementation is received though because there are 13 mostly populous Eastern states that will also adopt them at same time. Nationwide in 2016. Don't everyone scream at once.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
What's the most "forgiving" paint system ? (something that can be color sanded, buffed to repair defects during spraying).

Newbie with driver. I want to drive car this summer and "paint a panel at a time". Is this practical ?

If I do all the bodywork and priming at once - the whole summer will go by. So I wanted to do the paint job in sections - and enjoy the car this summer.

The hue of the paint wouldn't change if I painted on similar days ? Would everything match reasonably well ?

I was thinking of doing final buffing on whole car all at once at end.

Thanks !

Posted on: 2009/7/1 5:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You can't really paint a car in sections, and if you do it right, you can have it completely painted and all the chrome put back on in a week. It doesn't hurt a car to drive it around in primer, people do it all the time. Just make sure that when you go to spray the final coats that everything is perfectly clean and dry.

As for the most friendly paint, it used to be lacquer, but you can't get it anymore. I would try a two stage paint from PPG or the likes, as it has the clearcoat already in the paint, so it's a one shot system. Oh, and for a beginner, an HVLP paint system is worth it's weight in gold.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 6:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it's a non-metallic lacquer and you can keep your technique the same day to day, prepare the paint/thinner and perhaps retarder the same each time, and have similar weather conditions (humidity especially), you may be able to do a credible job painting in sections. Certainly not the best way to do it, but it could be acceptable. If it will be a metallic paint, then I definately would not try it.

If you are spraying with lacquer in any significant amount of humidity, I'd recommend buying some "retarder" (butyl acetate) which will help prevent the condensation of water on the paint surface as it dries (which is a cooling process due to the evaporation of the solvent).

Posted on: 2009/7/1 7:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
Thanks - I've been wondering about HVLP versus regular guns. So all paints are pretty much urethanes now - right ? Don't I need fresh air mask, not just respirator ?

I want to paint the car for the experience (I did a lacquer job 15 years ago) - but the cost, time, and safety is scaring me...

Getting Maaco to shoot it with urethane for $500 is looking tempting...

Posted on: 2009/7/1 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
On the subject of the availability of lacquer... I don't want to get into the complexities of what's legal in which state, but it appears that Bill Hirsch still sells Nitrocellulose Lacquer and has black and clear in stock (custom colors available on request). $85 a gallon plus S/H.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NITL-GAL

Edit: I see Hirsch was mentioned earlier by O_D.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 8:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved