Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 145

Don B, Joe Santana, HH56, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help ID this Packard please
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
i found this forsale in tampa.
the owner says it is a 1929 Packard Phantom.
from what i found on the web it is a 1929 Packard Pheaton.
the owner is asking 1.2 Million.
i thinks thats over priced.
can you help ID it for me please.
thanks, Dave Smith

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Help ID this Packard please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Will leave the ID to others but for my two bits, unless he has some gold bars that come with it, I'd think it was a tad overpriced looking at the general condition and rust streaks--. Almost wonder looking at the stain patterns inside and on engine if it didn't sit in some water. Someone hoping to fund his retirement, no doubt.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Numbers, numbers, numbers. How about the body dash number ("thief-proof" number), engine #, vehicle#?

I'll guess and say a Sixth Series, 640 or possibly a 645 (measure the wheelbase).

EDIT - Is that 1.2 millionin pesos or dollars? Seems an absolutely outrageous asking price!! Maybe something 1/4 or 1/5th that number might be a starting point for negotiating. Looks can be deceiving but the engine looks a bit neglected and tired. PS - looking closer the restoration looks pretty tired too, maybe less than a 6-figure car.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
what, where should i look for these numbers?
there is a data plate in the eng. compartment.
and a big number pressed into fire wall.
if these are whats needed i will copy next time he comes over.

sorry, i don't know much about these type of cars.

Dave

Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Engine # should be on the driver's side, front "leg" where it attaches to the frame.

Vehicle # should be on the vehicle # plate, or patent plate, see enclosed photo. Should be on the engine side of the cowl; if not look on the passenger side above the clutch and brake pedals.

Big embossed # on the cowl is more a matter of personal curiousity as it will only identify the year, but would be useful for some research I'm doing.

Measure the wheelbase, distance between the center of the front and center of the rear wheel on either side.

Appears to be a factory-built body but check for a coachbuilder's ID plate, often on the driver's side between the hood and the front door, down low. Sometimes on the door sills.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.88 KB)
177_4a7f308970556.jpg 400X297 px

Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yes, the data plate is the place to start. It should contain a model number and production number. The plate in the picture might be a replacement from the restoration. (It should have original data recorded on it.)

The big number pressed in the firewall is the anti theft number. It was not used for title or ID purposes but some folks on this website could probably have some interesting comments on it.

The engine should have a serial number that would tell if is from the correct production year or a replacement engine. The engine block probably has a 'cast date' usually toward the back. It may be in raised letters along the bottom edge of the side of the block,

Generally, the car looks very restored. The chrome wheels for instance, were probably not an original option (at least, I've never seen such before). So somebody seems to have wanted it restored 'better than new.'

The 1.2 million number, does seem a bit spurious.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:39
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the data plate is the place to start. It should contain a model number and production number.

Actually, not so, the vehicle numbers comprising the body model # followed by the production sequence # didn't begin until the 9th series. 6th,7th and 8th Series cars had a vehicle # almost always the same as the original motor #.

Yes, the chrome disteel wheels could be authentic.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave,
to PackardInfo.

Notice that your pic's can be left clicked on to enlarge them(2 clicks blow them right up) and most show some "tattiness" the closer you get. And pic packard 007 shows the "patent plate" and the last digit, 2, of the thief proof number. $1.2M is a lot of money for a tatty car!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Oz
Thanks for the left click enlargement option.
Learn something everyday!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:13
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
More than likely it is a Model 640. However, if there are only three doors on each side of the hood, then it would be a 633. The beltline of the 640 is entirely different than that of the 645.
A 640 in this condition would probably be worth about $100,000 to maybe $125,000, so his asking price is more than 10 times its value.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved