Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 250

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What changed the rated horsepower RPM in 1953/54?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
It appears this engine is a 5-main hydraulic lifter 327"

I checked and Packard was never in the K-B piston line and hasn't been in the Silvolite book for at least twenty years.

Still wonder what changed, besides the compression ratio, to raise the '54 horsepower rating by 25hp and 400 RPMs. Has anyone seen any different camshaft specs? If not the increase could have been just advertising copywriting.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would say you'd have to call KB and ask if they can make a piston for you. As long as they have a mold of a similar diameter they can make any piston. All they need to do is adjust the pin height.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I know John Erb, who just retired as chief engineer at K-B and he is an old time Studebaker guy. He and I had several conversations about Studebaker and Packard V8 pistons. Even an order for a thousand sets won't get their attention. They are a volume manufacturer, not interested in custom work.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/10/22 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't know about the pistons from Egge, but I've bought at least 15 sets from Terrill Machine. They are fine, and have the expansion controlling steel struts cast in. They have all worked just dandy, and the folks at Terril are great to deal with.

There are only 3 cams listed to fit the 51-54 engines; the solid lifter, the hydraulic lifter, and the 359 hydraulic lifter. Someone told me the 359 cam was machined in a few extra spots so the rods wouldn't hit it with the longer stroke.

I think the power increase at higher RPM was due to a bit better flow in the 4bbl manifold, and a little extra space in the head over top of the intake valve to help it flow into the cylinder.

Interestingly, although the manifolds all interchange 51-54, the 288, 327, and 359 all had different inside diameters in the runners. I put a 359 4bbl mainfold on a ported and relieved 288 but found it prone to bogging in normal driving because of inadequate velocity in those long runners.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Guy here in our Packard club who also has a 2 cylinder 1912 Maxwell had aluminium pistons made for it by Arias in lieu of the original cast iron pistons. Don't know about cost, but here's a link to their Site.
http://www.ariaspistons.com/custompistons.html

Posted on: 2009/10/22 20:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Thanks for the info. I've never used Egge's I8 pistons, nor Terrill's, so can't comment on the quality. However, I'm betting Terrill's come from Egge. AFAIK, Terrill doesn't have the facilities to make pistons.

I know Nick Arias, Sr. and his company makes some of the best pistons in the known world and are not afraid to tackle any custom challenge. However, they charge concomitantly.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/10/23 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Regarding Kevin's engine: Packard equipped the 26th series 2611 Clipper and the 54th series 5401-5411 Clippers with their 327 cu. in., 5-main bearing, solid lifter engines. I will correct my engine specification table to reflect this new found information. Not all 327 engines had hydraulic valve liftes. Thanks Kevin and Clipper47.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 10:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved