Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Please help ID These Packards
Just popping in
Just popping in

khughesprime
See User information
Hello everyone ! (Hope I have not overlooked a separate discussion for proper introductions) I am happy to have found a Packard site like this ! I am the proud new owner of a 4 dr 1947 Clipper 8 cyl. I know very little about it because it is currently still on the previous owners land as it is too wet to tow away. the body is corroded but it has a nice interior and lots of extra parts including lots of NOS stuff. I hope to properly ID it soon.

I need to know a couple of things from anyone willing and/or able to help.The first pics are what I have. The rusty cars are parts cars I found and need help identifying. I know 46 and 47 bodies are the same. the 48 and 49 are different. Will my interior and other parts interchange to these ? I'd like to restore a complete car if I can.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.24 KB)
2204_4b48fb0453dd6.jpg 427X315 px

jpg  (92.26 KB)
2204_4b48fb16643c5.jpg 1024X756 px

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Please help ID These Packards
Just popping in
Just popping in

khughesprime
See User information
Parts cars. Any help appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.96 KB)
2204_4b48fbb4dbe2d.jpg 639X479 px

jpg  (86.92 KB)
2204_4b48fbbe2b7a9.jpg 639X479 px

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Kevin H wrote:.....I am the proud new owner of a 4 dr 1947 Clipper 8 cyl.........
G'day Kevin,

to PackardInfo, glad you found the Site. Can't help in the identification stakes but I'm sure some of our more knowledgeable members will be able to help. And any other questions you have feel free to ask.

And a request of you, could you please include your '47 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A lot of mechanical things will interchange & maybe some small trim items but wheelbase does make a difference as does the senior cars (customs) vs junior car designation as some items are heavier or of different construction--even though they might fit. Motors in particular are different sr vs jr but would fit as a unit if both 8's. Sometimes a bit of extra work is required.

Interior wise, some miscellaneous will fit such as handles and a few little assorted chrome pieces but usually won't look the same. Anything big probably won't or would look very out of place. It really depends on the specific item.

Not sure what you need in way of ID but best is to get the body number and engine number. Body is on a plate on L side of cowl under hood and would be in XXXX-XXXX format. Engine is roughly midpoint around distributor on drivers side and just below the head/block parting line. If still original, will begin with FXXXXXX for a 46-47. Once you have those, all the info you need is here to determine exactly.

There is quite a bit of info on site so feel free to download the parts and service manuals for a better idea.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Senior engines essentially the same, but the junior 8 has different bore and stroke, 47 vs later (282 vs 288 ci). A 22nd or 23rd series isn't a particularly useful parts car for a 47, but 47 parts cars aren't uncommon.

If you can, I'd like to have the vehicle numbers and thief-proof (embossed cowl) numbers for my project. As HH says, with those it would be easy to identify common parts.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 18:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

khughesprime
See User information
Thanks to those who have replied. A few things I should add:

The 47 I have is nearly complete and only needs a few items. the drivetrain is mostly there with exception of a starter.

The parts cars below are about an hour away. The seller wants me to take a look at the numbers in person so I thought it would be wise to ID them the best I can before I arrange to meet.

The 47 I have is GONE. So I need a body and that is why I am interested in the parts cars. If I cannot locate a donor soon...I hate to say this but I will probably be parting this out. I will register it later if I am keeping it. That is what I am hoping to do.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Lemme know if I can be of further assistance - I am in Dallas. David Flack, flackmaster@sbcglobal.net

Posted on: 2010/1/10 8:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved