Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Water Distribution tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Why take the chance on damaging a $200 water distribution tube to satisfy laziness?

Posted on: 2010/1/30 20:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK OK, you've got the last word. I wasn't aware that the owner of the car was intending to be lazy.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I never worked on one of these cars, but the factory shop manual sez nothing about removing the grille to do this - only the radiator.

The 51-54 grille seems to have ample space; sounds like it is simply a matter of carefully lining things up as they come out. With a good engine crane to do the lifting and an old-time, acme-threaded low jackstand to precisely support the motor, I'd also wanna put a couple of garden-variety, ratchet-style jackstands under the frame rails to prevent the car from wiggling up/down on its springs as I worked.

Removing the grille is a good idea if it or the sheet metal beneath needs attention - as BigKev previously noted.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
OK OK, you've got the last word. I wasn't aware that the owner of the car was intending to be lazy.

I'm not trying to get the last word and there's no reason to be so condescending. I'm just stating the fact that there's no need to take the chance and damage a part that costs $200.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
It has been a REALLY long time since I took the grill off of my '51, but I don't recall it being a very big project. I would worry about the ditribution tube bending and/or the tube scratching the chrome on the grill. Loosening motor mounts and messing with engine cranes seems like more work than removing the grill IMHO, but like I said, maybe I'm not remembering accurately how easy it was to remove the grill?

Posted on: 2010/1/31 10:38
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm pretty sure I pulled my grille in like 15 mins when I did it.

Plus with radiator and grille out of the way you really have uncluttered access at the front of the engine. That makes even getting the water pump off a much easier task.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 17:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

watertoy
See User information
Hope this will help,I just went through the same problems with my 51 sedan(288 cu) and in order to remove the tube it is safer to take the grill OFF. The tube will not pass through the grill. Trust me I spent a long time trying to fit it through without bending it and you will bend it and I would imagine it is not a cheap item.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as an aside, as long as you have a pattern they are quite easy to make from sheet brass and a little solder. A couple of holes to cut or punch, a couple of bends, and an end cap to fabricate.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks everyone. Didn't mean to stir things up so much. I think I will take the advice to pull the grill first. As kevin suggested it wouldn't hurt to clean up and paint the back of it.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
watertoy wrote:........my 51 sedan(288 cu).......
G'day watertoy,
First post, so to PackardInfo. And, could you please include your '51 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 5:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved