Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

38 V12 restoration cost
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Friends who went to the PI show said their was a 38 V12 that won best of show. The owner was stating he spent $750K on the restoration. They were questioning why someone would spend that much when on the best day at a auction, the car may bring $300K tops.

I said, look it's done every day. We all know people who have $40K into a car worth $20K. This is just a scaled up version of that. Anyway, if I was going to spend that much on a factory made Packard, it would be a 32-34 V12 or a 37 V12. However the car I heard was exquisite though it had the dash incorrectly woodgrained which seems to me a very major defect after spending all that cash.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 V12 restoration cost
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lot of money for sure. One thing I would be curious about would be the details or documentation of what was incorrect about dash. PI people are usually pretty thorough & knowledgeable and if something was visibly not right, I would have thought one of the judges would have flagged it rather quickly or at the very least someone there --possibly with a correct car that lost a prize-- would have brought it to their attention. For best of show, I guess it is always possible the car was so spectacular in all other areas that any points deducted for the dash would be minor details.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the car scored 247 out of 250 points. It was pretty amazing car and detailed in every way.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
My thought process is a woodgrain dash in a 38 senior packard is a major flaw. To me that's is like painting the hood primer black and only losing a few points for it and yet winning best of show. I'm not complaining, just curious what is the diffeence between a primered hood and a incorrectly painted dash?

However am I wrong and some 38 dashes were woodgrained? The PI magazine has the 38 as a feature car and one of the photos before the restoration shows a correct dash.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Knowing that someone spent 3 or 4 times a vehicle's value on a restoration kind of spoils it for me. I always think that for that kind of restoration, I better not find even ONE flaw. So I end up looking for the smallest of things rather than appreciate the beautiful car.
That said, Ken, I agree that if there isn't some solid documentation on that dashboard, it's a major flaw!! Can someone post a photo of the exact car, please?

Posted on: 2010/2/3 9:57
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, what bothers me even more when I see a car like that (not saying it's the case with this one) is the statement that sometimes accompanies them like "restored from a nearly perfect original".

Posted on: 2010/2/3 10:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I find it almost unconceivable that a 1938 Packard Twelve could require $3/4 million in restoration cost. I would love to see photos also. I see there are 2 1938 Twelves for sale at Significant Cars website. One has a painted dash and the other a woodgrained one.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Is this the car? It is in the Winter 2009 PI Magazine. A beautiful automobile but I admit I wondered about the woodgraining also.

Attach file:

jpg  (168.51 KB)
769_4b69a886bd107.jpg 962X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/3 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I told that is the car in the latest PI mag.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Well, I've heard of that kind of money spent on cars that were that bad.

In Comparison: A near-perfect 1939 Twelve convertible sedan just sold in Scottsdale for $275,000. One of six known.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 13:07
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved