Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

'38 tranny to 53 patrician, will it work?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Hi Guys,
Need some advice for a friend. He has a '38 Packard 8, manual transmission but wants to put a '53 Patrician motor into it, will this work? Is there a way to get the '53 motor to bolt up to the '38s transmission?
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated before we go ahead and buy/go get the '53.
Thanks alot.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 15:14
 Top  Print   

Re: '38 tranny to 53 patrician, will it work?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Hopefully someone else can give a more positive answer but I do believe that the 53 motor is longer than the 38 so there may be a problem fitting the motor into the engine compartment. The tranny fitment may be a moot point.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 21:12
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Thanks alot, will try to find that out first!
Appreciate it!

Posted on: 2010/2/21 21:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Anything can be done with a pile of hundreds, and a good torch. All kidding aside, this transplant is not for the faint of heart, NOT a bolt in change. the 327 is longer for starters, but if you are determined, contact peterpackard on this site. He has done this precise transplant and its a screamer. I want it, but Peter said something about dying first. Not sure if he meant me or him...

Posted on: 2010/2/21 21:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also check the motor mounts. 53 is from the sides & I believe the 38 is on the front. Don't know if the mount plate will bolt on the front of the 53.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 21:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Awesome! This is the kind of info we need, thanks a bunch!

Posted on: 2010/2/21 21:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
51-54 are all side mounted motors. 50 and prior are front mounted motors.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 1:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Yes, a 1953 327 will fit into a 1938 120 and there is a Packard tech instruction on how to do so. I fitted a 1954 -327 into my 1938 -120 and it works fine. The complications arose when i fitted an R6 overdrive into the drivetrain. It would also be possible to fit a 38 gearbox into the 53 but you would have to source a few bits and modify the tailshaft. You would be better to fit an R11 to the 53 Patrician. I am really not sure of what you want to do to what and why? Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 4:54
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
monypenny07 wrote: Hi Guys, Need some advice for a friend. He has a '38 Packard 8, manual transmission but wants to put a '53 Patrician motor into it, will this work? Is there a way to get the '53 motor to bolt up to the '38s transmission? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated before we go ahead and buy/go get the '53. Thanks alot.
G'day monypenny07,
to PackardInfo. I see you first posted in response to this thread did you follow that through? Could you ask your friend with the '38 8 to join PackardInfo also? Be good to talk with him too. And he could include his '38 Packard Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how he acquired it. Concerning your query I see Peter's response but I have a few thoughts as well. Is the '53 Pat engine out of a manual trans car? If yes, then a lot easier as you won't have to chase up a manual bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc, etc to fit it. And Peter and others can help here, because I think the manual trans should bolt straight to a 327 manual bellhousing, please correct me if I'm wrong. Concerning Peter's suggestion of Overdrive, I think this would require chassis modifications to the X-member.

Quote:
Peter Packard wrote: G'day all, Yes, a 1953 327 will fit into a 1938 120 and there is a Packard tech instruction on how to do so. I fitted a 1954 -327 into my 1938 -120 and it works fine. The complications arose when i fitted an R6 overdrive into the drivetrain. It would also be possible to fit a 38 gearbox into the 53 but you would have to source a few bits and modify the tailshaft. You would be better to fit an R11 to the 53 Patrician. I am really not sure of what you want to do to what and why? Best regards Peter Toet.
Peter,

Where can the "Packard tech instruction" you cited be found? Is it somewhere here? I had a look in Packard Literature and Manuals and didn't find it. Can the later 327 engine be converted to the front engine mount? Just answered my own question by looking at Eric's Speedster Blog - Page 7 Because of the 327's greater length, is the radiator in the '38 relocated forward?

Posted on: 2010/2/22 5:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not remembering any factory doc for this particular transfer but there is one when replacing a 356 engine with a newer one which might have applicable sections. Service Counselor Vol 27 # 7 July 53.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 8:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved