Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Will Rose, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Considering a 51
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Considering buying a 51 says its original and the motor runs. whatcha think? $950.00

Attach file:

jpg  (13.62 KB)
2192_4b9db104d6778.jpg 819X460 px

Posted on: 2010/3/14 22:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Considering a 51
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
If it runs and is in "reasonable" condition it's probably a "reasonable" buy. But in my saying that be warned, it's almost 60 years old and things deteriorate over time, so plan on spending money on it if only for the sake of safety and reliability.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 0:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Well, how many collector cars are available for that little money? Especially ones that run! It looks like a car that is reasonable enough you will have room to do some work and still be in at bottom dollar. In reality, I think it comes down to liking it and willing to adopt a stray Packard.

I hope this works out,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/15 0:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Under $1000 and runs? This should be a no-brainer!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 6:46
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Offer a $100 less and work him over a little. Running is nice but what about stopping and shifting. Those are important too.

The car looks decent from the pic, but pictures are worth a thousand words less than an in person look. It's a great price but you kinda have to ask why. Does the seller not know what it is? Is he just desperate the get ride of it? Is there an issue with the cars mechanicals?

Posted on: 2010/3/15 9:32
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You don't give me much to go on as model, condition, etc but here goes.

Old Car Price Guide says a 51 Packard in running and driving condition is worth $3400. Not drivable, may or may not be running but restorable, everything is there and not rotted out or wrecked, $2160 parts car $680.

So if it is complete, runs, and is worth fixing up that looks like a good price.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You can have a lot of fun with that car for that money. Just check the floors and structure on the back side of the rocker panels for gang rot--but in California how much rot can there be???

Most all the pieces necessary to put the brakes in good order are available cheap at the local auto parts store, and the engine is not a lot more complicated than two Ford 8N tractor engines mounted in a line. If the tranny is automatic, best check it in all positions to see if it grabs a gear. Stick shifts are no problem.

If you want to make it pretty, the chrome will kill you if its bad.

All that said, they are GREAT driving cars and you can have something that will stand out from the crowd. My long experience as a "bottom feeder" shows me you can get one for way less than the price guide says, and have a junior Packard sedan for a fraction of what a Ford or Chevy in equal condition would cost. Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Aden

I had one for a few years and will echo what Ross said. They want to run and run with the other traffic all day long. When I exercised it the speed would creep up to 70 unless I really watched it.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/3/15 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Aden, were I in your position, I'd jump all over this little girl! If she runs and moves, well, you're not likely to find anything similar for the price. When it comes to drivability and enjoyment, "Ask the Man that Owns One.."

Posted on: 2010/3/17 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Question: WHAT THE BLOODY WELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR???????

Posted on: 2010/3/17 8:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved