Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 163

happy, moodydavid16, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1929 645 Brake & Clutch Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Thanks to everyone for the help. I spent the day working on the old girl, getting the exhaust whistle to function (important eh?) and adjusting the brakes the best I could with what I saw on the car. I also lifted the front end to check the steering and everything seamed in order other then a small amount of play in the gear box which I found a service letter that covers that, so I will deal with that issue Sunday. Well anyway I also found the cotter key for the brake rod clevis pin missing so I took care of that issue.

We decided to host some friends of ours and take them out in the Packard. Go to start and dead batteries. Dual Optimas, but I am sure one is toast as I had this set in our other senior car (1930 Pierce)and suffered with them. Anyway I hand crank the 29 to life and we ran with it. Then of course I had to hand crank it when we left this wonderful wine bar here in Redlands to go home. My friends had such a great time wrapped up in a blanket for the cool ride home. It is amazing how easy this car is to hand crank. I am sure glad Dick taught me how to do it on both the Model T and the Packard. It also draws a crowd when you start a car this way.

Kevin, It would be great to meet you. There is a cruise night first Friday in April in You Cow Pie and we may take both the Packard and the Pierce to it. Another friend is bringing his baby blue '62 Vette so we are going to drive together. Would be nice to have have two Packards on display. I down loaded the PDF file but I can't open it for some reason.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 3:28
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Paul, the Cruise night sounds like a splendid idea. But my Packard is still in pieces if you refer to my project blog.

You may need the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view those PDF files since they are created in pretty new version and secured. It's free on Adobes website.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 7:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got an immense amount of admiration for the man who can hand-crank one of those monsters to start it!! I've found it difficult just to crank my 34 Eight a bit of a turn to static time the ignition. Just outstanding!

Posted on: 2010/3/21 8:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
"Paul, the Cruise night sounds like a splendid idea. But my Packard is still in pieces if you refer to my project blog."

I looked at your blog after I posted. I see no reason why you couldn't ride with us if we take both cars. If we only take one, then all seats are already claimed bit we should know that well in advance.

"I've got an immense amount of admiration for the man who can hand-crank one of those monsters to start it!! I've found it difficult just to crank my 34 Eight a bit of a turn to static time the ignition. Just outstanding!"

The engine was warm. Big difference if it is cold. The hardest part of hand cranking the 29 is getting the crank hole cover off. It's a real PITA. If it's cold then I get out the old super duper battery put it on boost.

I shut the main battery switch off and put the charger on it over night. It started just fine a few minutes ago. I am going to leave the main on and see if it runs down again. If it does, I will charge the batteries once again and leave the main off and see if they still die. Then I have an idea where to look.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 11:08
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With the battery disconnected you can check between the two battery terminals with a Multi-meter (continuity or resistance check) so see If there is either something is still "on", or you have a short somewhere. Keep in mind that an electric clock may always be on.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 11:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,
for including your '29 Deluxe Eight Touring in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Your welcome, good sir.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 0:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved