Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 252

Marvin, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Diff Oil Spec.
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi Kids,

Hope your a keeping well, endless weeks of sunshine here thanks to 'Global Change' (it was called Global Warming but that did not suit the present weather conditions!)

Differential oil, I know it has been done to death but I need oil weight etc and not just product names. The oils you have are not generally not available here.

So what is the spec of the oil I need for the diff and how much of it?

Thanking you,

Pat

Posted on: 2010/3/23 16:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Diff Oil Spec.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard recommended SAE90 in the winter and SAE160 in the summer. Most everyone I know with prewar seniors
uses a multivis SAE85W-140 which is available in countless brands, but usually only in 5 gallon containers. Note that whatever you select it MUST be of the EP (extreme pressure) variety which is required for hypoid gearsets. Typically we use the same lubricant in the transmission and steering gear box, so a 5 gallon container isn't really too much. I didn't bother to look up how much the differential holds, but it's probably between 4 and 6 pints but in any case you just fill to the bottom of the filler plug hole. PS - if you haven't changed the differential oil in the last 5 years or so, I'd strongly consider draining it, and maybe even flushing with a bit of kerosene followed by a bit of fresh gear oil before refilling. Inexpensive precaution, rear axle service can get expensive.

UPDATE - Per owner's manual (download it if you don't have it, its got some good basic information):

Differential - 6 pints
Transmission - 4-1/2 pints
Steering box - 3/4 pint

Posted on: 2010/3/23 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information

Posted on: 2010/3/23 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Thanks for the info...

Now where is the filler located!

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The should be a bolt or plug style flitting on the top of the rear cover of the diff. You fill it up to that point.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 16:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
There is a round object protruding to one side of the cover, could be a breather or maybe the filler? Should it be in the center of the cover?

Attach file:

jpg  (69.10 KB)
1195_4bad26ed5b50f.jpg 800X514 px

Posted on: 2010/3/26 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pat, your filler is not on the rear cover. You have, like most of the 30s Packards, an "Angleset" hypoid differential which is tilted about 45 deg. to lower the driveline. Thus the rear cover is really almost an upper cover.

Your flller plug is just below the axles, on the carrier or "pumpkin" as we used to call it, rearward of the universal joint. A standard threaded NPT pipe plug with a square head. Looks the same as the drain except it is mounted higher on the case. just look around at the front of the unit, you can't miss it.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did you find the filler plug yet? I could put film in the camera (no wisecracks needed please) and take a picture if necessary.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
I should be able to find it from those directions.
Will have to wait until tommorow, I would be shot if I attempted to go out to the garage today, family duties are interfering with my my life!

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 5:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Pat,

A few pic's of Wade's '34's diff showing location of fill and drain plugs. Sorry I couldn't put them on sooner but last week I was interstate for my Mum and Dad's 65th Wedding Anniversary celebrations.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.78 KB)
226_4bb053ea63c32.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.06 KB)
226_4bb053f7d3170.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.10 KB)
226_4bb0540276f95.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (13.91 KB)
226_4bb0540e33481.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/29 2:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved