Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 158

Don B, Packardbarry, MVS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Packard ID help
Just popping in
Just popping in

cb1
See User information
Hello all,
Brand new to this board and sight. Hope to contrbute to the cause.
Just purchased a 49 Packard, however, could someone confirm engine displacement. I am getting conflicting info from this site, "Packard Model Info" and the chart from John Lawrence.
Body Style number 2265-9-134XX puts it at a 288. Engine number G2723XX puts it at a 327. Which gives?

Thanks, cb1

Attach file:

jpg  (6.90 KB)
2449_4bacfad29e5ee.jpg 221X166 px

jpg  (5.96 KB)
2449_4bacfaec6e631.jpg 221X166 px

Posted on: 2010/3/26 13:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Packard ID help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to Kev's engine serial number data sheet,https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?246 22nd series 288's go from G200001 thru G303000. 327's would be a G4xxx series. The low G2xx number probably means a renumbered 48 22nd series.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 13:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

cb1
See User information
Thanks for the info.

This is what I have. As you can see there is a difference, unless I am reading it wrong.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 41.46 KB; Hits: 63

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think you're reading it wrong but think there might be a typo on one. Will have to let the respective authors sort that one out. At any rate, am thinking it is a 288 since it is a G2 series and both charts agree that a 327 would be a G4.

Will let the 22-23 experts chime in as to the estimated number and cosmetic differences (if any), but a substantial number of unsold 48 22nd series had new serial plates furnished by the factory with the -9- in the middle so they could be sold as current along with the new production 49 -9-'s.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to elaborate, there are NO differences between a 1948 22nd series and a 1949 22nd series (the -9- in the VN) except for the VN. It may be a renumbered car, that is, left unsold at the end of 1948 and renumbered by the factory to be sold as a 1949. One key is the Briggs body number which is on a small plate affixed to the cowl on the engine side near the heater box. Also the thief-proof number (large embossed number on the engine side of the cowl enclosed by trianges) can sometimes give a clue if it was renumbered. I'd like very much to have those numbers for my study on the thief-proof numbers. If you're willing you could either post them here or send me a private message (PM).

The 22nd/23rd series club sedans are not common, and their styling has managed to age more gracefully than some of the other cars of that era, so it'a a very worthy project. Good luck with it and I hope you intend to keep it authentic.

PS - the highest engine # for the 288 engine in a 22nd series that I've encountered is G301519.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think there is a typo in John's Monoblock chart. Instead of reading

GXXXXXX - G430000

it should read

G4XXXXX - G430000

Same goes with the G6's. So I think thats where the confusion sets in.

I know how the numbers can all run together when you are trying to author one of those tables and I had to make several corrections to my own chart to get it right.

The last revision to my chart does have the numbers in question listed correctly.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?246

Posted on: 2010/3/26 16:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
cb1 wrote: Hello all, Brand new to this board and sight. Hope to contribute to the cause. Just purchased a 49 Packard........Thanks, cb1
G'day cb1,
to PackardInfo. While others are helping sort out engine numbers and such, maybe you could "contribute to the cause" sooner than you think? You could do that by including your '49 Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 17:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

cb1
See User information
All,
I will post an update when I get the car home. I only have some pics and the numbers. Also, the engine number I posted is actually on the title and the seller is getting me the actual engine number if it is different than what is on the title.
And I will join the registry when I get it.

Thanks for all the inpute,

cb1

Posted on: 2010/3/26 19:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

cb1
See User information
Owen_Dyneto

You can have those numbers when I get it.

Thanks,

cb1

Posted on: 2010/3/26 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Do you know the history of the car? Where originally sold, original owner, color and options etc. Just curious. Thanks

Posted on: 2010/3/27 12:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved