Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

eBay exhaust
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has anyone used these guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350267555698

Only concern I have is installing the rear pipe. As the factory manual says the rear axel has to be dropped to get the long pipe up and over the axle. Curious if I can cut that pipe and use a exhaust coupler so I can get it in there without tearing the rear-end apart.

Currently my rear pipe has rusted off right where is starts to go up, in front on the axle. So it's pointing hot exhaust right at the side of the gas tank. Even though I don't see any holes in the muffler, I am sure I probably is past it's service life also.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 18:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: eBay exhaust
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Yea, that's who I bought my 39 exhaust from. It is very good quality and sounds just right. The problem I ran into was the rear section of pipe that went over the axle was for the wrong wheelbase. I had to cut and weld. Truthfully, for the reasonable cost, it wasn't worth sending back and forth so I took care of it myself.

I am positive they sell a lot more 51 - 54 systems than 39 Super 8 which is one year, one model system only.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/5/16 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kepich and Klass are the same. Some negative reviews but I also bought a dual system for my 56 from Kepich (Klass). With exception of one bend being slightly off which made the heat riser valve not bolt tight, no other problems. As 39super8 said, not worth sending back. The slight bend problem was easily and inexpensively corrected by a local shop.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I got the exhaust system for the '50 from the same outfit in 2007. Had no problems at all. A local muffler shop installed it for me using the original hangers that I had refurbished. They said it fit perfectly.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have installed more than a dozen of their systems with only minor tweaky problems. On a lift I have always been able to install the tailpipe on a 51-54 without doing anything with the rear axle--don't know why the shop manual would say that. It is handier if the shocks aren't there.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 21:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys...... All good information. Looks like I will be placing an order with them soon!

Posted on: 2010/5/16 22:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Kev,

Are you going the stainless steel route?

Posted on: 2010/5/17 13:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For the cost I think I am going to just so with the steel version. Plus i heard the stainless ones make alot of "pinging" noises as they heat and cool.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 13:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got a stainless system on the 34 Eight, installed about 35 years ago, and aluminized plain steel on the Caribbean, installed 13 years ago. In addition to the plinking, creaking and other odd sounds of stainless as it heats up and cools down, they just don't sound authentic to me, and with lead-free gasoline the plain steel systems seem to last many of us for 15 or more years.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
There are still original exhaust systems out there if you are patient and willing to look around. I put new original mufflers and resonators on my 56 last week. I picked them up at Hershey last fall and knew I would want them someday. Little did I know I would need them this soon. The muffler shop that installed them was suprised how well they fit with no adjusting.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 14:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved