Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

Packwagon, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 front clip removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40pack
See User information
Howdy, I'm new to the forum but have had my 1940 1801A Henney ambulance for about 20 years. I use it as a daily driver in the summer here in Alaska, and it is about time to pull the engine and overhaul it. With my other old cars it has always been a lot easier to just pull the front clip. I don't have the body manual. Could anyone point me in the right direction.
The reason I'd like to do it this way is so I can blast and paint the frame, firewall etc before I stick the eng back in.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 front clip removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Not all that difficult. Remove the bumper, remove the hood and its supports, remove bolts from the fender to the body, remove sidemounts and bracing under the fender. I may be forgetting something, but the first time I did it with a couple of my friends, we had it all off within two hours. Add extra time if you've got to deal with seized bolts.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 23:42
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
40pack wrote: Howdy, I'm new to the forum but have had my 1940 1801A Henney ambulance for about 20 years.......
G'day 40pack,
to PackardInfo. Good to see you use your Packard regularly a great way to enjoy it.

To West's suggestions, and presuming you are taking the radiator out in it's cradle with the front clip, I'd add the following. Drain radiator, remove upper and lower radiator hoses, remove the nuts from large bolt/s securing the radiator to the front cross member and disconnect any wiring connections from the firewall or frame to the inner fender panels or to the front clip.

And a request, could you please include your '40 1801A Henney ambulance in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/15 7:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I also suggest removing the front wheels. This eliminates you having to lift over the tires.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40pack
See User information
Thanks for the comeback on the clip. I figured it was at least as easy as my '39 Chrysler. This will be a good summer project here in the Northland. I bought this car from a kid whose grandfather bought it off of the government installation in Northern Idaho in 1948. It was an army ambulance and I figure it never turned a wheel during the war. The old guy never drove it and the grandson hauled it up the alcan on a trailer. I got it started in the early nineties. It has 20,000 on the odometer. When I did the brakes the springs were still bright color/coded and the shoes were like new. I've pulled all the u joints apart and they are perfect. A great old car that the folks here just love....

Posted on: 2010/6/15 11:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/6/15 17:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved