Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rough Ultramatic shift to direct drive 1953 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

pack1948
See User information
I have discussed this issue with many owners and I wonder if there is not a hidden fix somewhere that I am not aware of. On flat roads where the engine is not under a great load the car shifts fine, but put it on a hill and it will often make a grinding sound when shifting. Bob Aller and the guy in New Jersey who used to do Ultramatics, as well once told me that it is nearly impossible to locate the source of the problem once the unit is rebuilt. They advised to let off theh accelerator momentarily to let the transmision shift and it solves the problem. I can see a salesman trying that one on a 1953 customer!

Posted on: 2010/9/17 8:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Rough Ultramatic shift to direct drive 1953 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Many years ago, after draining and refilling my Twin Ultramatic with Dexron, I encountered a low, moaning type of noise going into Direct Drive, under light throttle and typically on a low grade. However, I found that I could work around the problem with the accelerator pedal: either back off and wait until the road leveled off, or put my foot into it a little to kickdown from converter and get it over with quick.

Others have reported similar noise in Direct Drive with other Ultramatics. In another thread, one member recently described the sound as "mooing".

If this sounds like what you're experiencing, know that several owners have reported relief after switching to Type F fluid or equivalent. See the FAQ on ULTRAMATIC: What Fluid to Use.

If not, then perhaps others with more experience in rebuilding these transmissions can provide some additional insight.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An Ultramatic in good working order should neither groan, moan, moo, or make any other unusual sounds when locking up into direct drive. The lock-up should be quiet and nearly imperceptible. Yes, they can moan or groan for thousands of miles and the technique of either backing of the accelerator or giving it more gas to a higher speed does minimize the condition. But somewhere down the road it will probably require attention - Ross can comment with much better authority on these matters.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard did make several changes to the clutch disk face for various reasons--slip being the most common-- but It could be the direct drive clutch has gotten hard, glazed or just plain deteriorated over the years, particularly if still the original. Many have reported a groan noise but not a harsh shift or grinding that I remember.

Kanter's 2005 catalog listing (latest I have) for direct drive clutch states: "If your transmission slips in Direct Drive (over 30 mph) or groans into top gear, your Direct Drive clutch has become hardened and lost it's proper friction quality."

Posted on: 2010/9/17 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
I don't recall if it was on a 54 or 56, but by fiddling with the throttle rod linkage I was able to correct most of the "groan"

BTW...did you know that Yamaha now has the Ultramatic trademark?

"Not only will the Rhino get you almost anywhere, it'll get you there with an amazingly high level of comfort and ease, thanks to its powerful engine, Ultramatic transmission and long-travel four-wheel independent suspension. No other side by side vehicle delivers a charge like this: you get unsurpassed power, handling, great ride comfort and convenience."

Posted on: 2010/9/17 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Kanter's 2005 catalog listing (latest I have) for direct drive clutch states: "If your transmission slips in Direct Drive (over 30 mph) or groans into top gear, your Direct Drive clutch has become hardened and lost it's proper friction quality."

My '56 Patrician did this until I started using B&M TrickShift. After that, it didn't make any unusual noises and shifted just fine. That's why I HIGHLY recommend it in ALL Ultramatics, even freshly rebuilt ones.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day pack1948,
See you've been a PackardInfo member for quite some time but first post, so

And a request, could you please include your '53 Caribbean in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/17 15:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved