Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 262

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

3D Modeler Interested in Packards
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Hi folks.

I just joined up, though I've actually been a fan of Packards ever since I stared goggle eyed at a 48 in a car show at the age of 18. I'm hoping to buy one one of these days, but it isn't in the financial cards at the moment. Among other things, I'm a graphic artist and 3D modeler/animator. I'm interested in doing some 3D models of something like an early 30s Packard phaeton. I can't find a whole lot of detailed diagrams, though I have plenty of high quality photos. Theblueprints.com has a few, though a lot of them are pretty blurry and vague. Does anybody have a line on some high resolution (bigger the better) detailed side, front and top elevations, and maybe some good pictures of chassis?

Thanks, and nice to be here.

Andacar

Posted on: 2010/11/14 16:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 3D Modeler Interested in Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Andacar,

Can't help with your request, but your inclusion here adds another dimension to the Packard experience! to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 18:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
3D Model like this one.

I can't take credit for drafting it even thou I am a 3d piping guy.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.50 KB)
44_4ce270a25915f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2010/11/16 6:54
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You could get a decent set of surrogate 3D coordinates off a scale model like the Hubley ones

Posted on: 2010/11/16 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
At the 2009 Packard Salado Meet I took several photos of a display of engineering dimensions Packard provided to coach builders. It has detailed information on the 1940 model. To see them go to Car Show Photos in the Packard Photo Archive, and then go to page 91. I don't know if the quality is good enough for you to read, but you may find it useful.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/16 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Thanks a lot guys. I'll probably be starting a bit later in the year after the semester ends. Right now things are pretty crazy. It's nice to get a warm welcome. I've looked into some other car groups and kind of gotten the cold shoulder, though I won't mention any (yuppie BMW fans) by name.

This isn't a Packard, obviously. I was fooling around with some preliminary ideas for a similar car of my own design, tennatively called the Verna 6. I just keep referencing Packard though, so I finally decided to start with that. It's surprisingly difficult to get this right. Just the grille took hours of fussing to get what I wanted. I'm using a program called Maya 8.5 and a technique called NURBs modeling if that means anything. As you can see I'm just getting started with it.

Still looking into getting a Packard for myself one of these days when the economy turns around. There was actually a very nice 1956 Patrician for sale at a local Nissan dealer's used car lot a while back that I was just dying to get. There's also a "Pregnant Elephant" style, a 1948 Custom 8 I think, down the street that's been sitting there for years. One of these days I might go over and ask if the guy's willing to sell it.

I'll look at the information you suggest. Again, thanks a lot!

Andacar

Attach file:

jpg  (32.36 KB)
3257_4ce7615c4b01c.jpg 892X640 px

Posted on: 2010/11/20 0:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Still looking into getting a Packard for myself one of these days when the economy turns around.

The best time to get one is when the economy is crap!

Posted on: 2010/11/20 1:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Quite true, but I need to have some cash in surplus. Right now we're running on fumes over here, as they say. I've seen some very nice packards for sale in various places, but they are either pretty trashed or very expensive, though frankly less expensive than I would have thought. The big restored Packards of early to mid 30s vintage, which is what I'd be getting ideally, are in the 50-100 thousand range.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Have previously used D & D Classic in Covington, Ohio for some car modification work. They mainly do restorations and have begun building up a strong CAD capability. They might not be able to help with your specific Packard need but I would encourage you to reach out to them or pop in if ever in the area. Fabulous group of talented people. Mark Kennison runs the place, he's the one to talk to.

Their website is:
http://www.ddclassic.com/

Paul West

Posted on: 2010/11/24 16:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved