Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I need help with ID of my 1932 Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

Allen
See User information
I recently bought this, and was told it is a 1932 Packard 902.
It is a 137in whel base. with dual side mounts.
I will try to attach a photo.
What is this thing worth as is - and finished?

Thank you
Allen

Attach file:

jpg  (126.41 KB)
3113_4d38befdc293a.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (42.37 KB)
3113_4d38bf3d35afa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/20 18:04
 Top  Print   

Re: I need help with ID of my 1932 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1932 (9th series) 902 Standard Eight, body style 543. I try real hard to avoid questions about values; these could be way off base but I'd suggest thinking about values of perhaps $7500 as is. The "when finished" estimate of value needs definition of standard you intend to finish it to. These Standard Eight sedans are easy to get upside down on; cost of a truly top-notch restoration unless you were VERY handy would FAR exceed the value of the finished product, if that's important to you. You can occasionally find very nice, unrestored and presentable originals in the $35,000 -$45,000 range which to me at least, can be worth as much or more than a home-grown restoration. But then again fine unrestored and well-maintained originals are my favorites.

I'm sure others will have differing thoughts.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 19:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I believe this same car was at the Knoxville TN National Rod show last year. Had a lot of good parts, head was loose on engine and needed a lot of wood work. The wires are what caught my eye. Did the seller give you any past history.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 20:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Very Nice Car. I will concur with Dave (Owen Dyneto) that it all comes down to how much you spend on it to restore it. Unfortunately, the number of people left in the country with adequate knowledge of how to restore these are shrinking quickly. Parts have also come difficult to find.

As a comparison, within the last couple of years, I have seen a few 1933 1001 packards (very similar to the 1932 900 series) go in the 30 to 40 range restored. Then again, they were not 100 point show cars.

I do wish you luck in your efforts!

Posted on: 2011/1/20 20:35
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Allen,
Just like to you and your '32 to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 22:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Allen
See User information
The history I have is it was driven in to storage here in Tulsa, OK 9 years ago. (A running driving car)
The previous owner started to collecting and re-chroming parts.
The motor does appears to be completely intact.
I have new Chrome horns, new running board chrome trim, like new headlight mounting brackets, and re-chromed bumpers.
Like new Hood ornament, new seat springs, new fender welting, and a box of water pumps. New chicken wire, mat and vinyl roof covering. Will need 2 or 3 cross bows, the rest of the wood is excellent condition.
Original 1932 Packard Model 901-2-3-4 Owner's Manual + Service and Parts Manuals.

I have original wooden ash tray with match book holder, trunk for the rear with new or re-chromed bands and hardware, 6 new white wall tires.
I know I am missing 6 hub caps, Dash clock, and running board battery box (I have Drivers side tool box but missing passenger side).
The previous owner spent 12 years restoring a Triumph Tr3. After completing it decided he would not ever finish this one. I had to have it but have not decide what to do with it.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you got more information. The roof covering is not vinyl, it's a rubberized canvas with a grain pattern, still readily available.

Other than the wood, the other very large factor in determing value would be, assuming no cracks in the block, the internal condition of the motor. A really competent engine rebuild on one of these engines can easily be more than $12,000 and sometimes considerable higher depending on what's found.

BUT, a very worthy car - hope you get it and give it the care it deserves! I have nearly the same vehicle from 1934, an Eight sedan (703), and a well-preserved original. Just wonderful driving cars! Good luck with the venture.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 12:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Allen
See User information
The material is as you said a rubberized canvas with a grain pattern.

The car was kept in a heat and cooled garage there is no reason for there to be any issues with the engine. I believe I can get it running fairly easily. I do have a new set of gaskets for it. In the last nine years the previous owner collected allot of stuff.

I have restored in the past a 1929 Desoto, 1933 Plymouth PE Coupe, Hot-rodded a 1932 Dodge 5 window coupe with a hemi made to look like American Graffiti, 1974 Porsche 917 Replica, 1973 & 1974 Challenger, 1973 Bug Convertible. I now have my 2nd Porsche 917 to do + the Packard? Which one to do first?

This is the best condition car that I have every had to start with.I have attached a few phots of past work.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.45 KB)
3113_4d39c57b5fa58.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (94.59 KB)
3113_4d39c5da43a82.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (213.63 KB)
3113_4d39c770da3c2.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (94.39 KB)
3113_4d39c860b48a1.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/1/21 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PLEASE, don't hot-rod it, and try your best to keep it authentic!

Posted on: 2011/1/21 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

alslaser wrote:
The history I have is it was driven in to storage here in Tulsa, OK 9 years ago. (A running driving car)
The previous owner started to collecting and re-chroming parts.
The motor does appears to be completely intact.
I have new Chrome horns, new running board chrome trim, like new headlight mounting brackets, and re-chromed bumpers.
Like new Hood ornament, new seat springs, new fender welting, and a box of water pumps. New chicken wire, mat and vinyl roof covering. Will need 2 or 3 cross bows, the rest of the wood is excellent condition.
Original 1932 Packard Model 901-2-3-4 Owner's Manual + Service and Parts Manuals.

I have original wooden ash tray with match book holder, trunk for the rear with new or re-chromed bands and hardware, 6 new white wall tires.
I know I am missing 6 hub caps, Dash clock, and running board battery box (I have Drivers side tool box but missing passenger side).
The previous owner spent 12 years restoring a Triumph Tr3. After completing it decided he would not ever finish this one. I had to have it but have not decide what to do with it.

I have extra 32 hubcaps siutable for a nice driver, but not a show car. You canbuy repos from Bill Hirsch. Still need to paint them when you get them. I have a non working dash clock which is almost in perfect cosmetic condition and is correct twice a day. PM if you are interested in these items.

I was surprised how much a motor cost to rebuild. Budget at least $12K and maybe more. I'm told triple this if you are in So Ca. Seems like the drivetrain may be your biggest unknow as the rest of the car seems to be in good shape.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 15:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved