Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

54 pacifics, converts vs. clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
im wondering how much difference there is in brake, steering gearing parts between the senior and junior series in 54. i have a 54 convert but it has the big engine. does that mean that everything in the running gear had been upgraded to senior or was there little difference to begin with.

john

Posted on: 2011/3/11 22:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 pacifics, converts vs. clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
'51-53 the only cars (excluding commercial chassis) that had senior mechanicals were the Patrician 400's and the '53 8 pass sedan and limo. In '54 the Pacific hardtop, regular convertible and Caribbean conv also had senior mechanicals.

I have not checked the parts book 100%, but I know engine, front susp, Ujoints, rear axle, brakes are all senior. This was an interim upgrade until the V8's were introduced.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An easy way to get a feel for the differences between the 54 Seniors and Juniors is to browse the table of specifications for each chassis which is listed in the 1954 Service Counselor, Vol 28, #4. I'm sure it's available online here. It's about 13 pages of detailed specifications and the differences between between the models will be apparent.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I'm surprised you don't know that PackardInfo's collection of Service Counselors and Service Technical Bulletins (as well as some Studebaker Service Bulletins and Service Letters) are neatly indexed back through 1948 in the site's Packard Service Index. Woking my way back throught earlier years, and installment for 41-47 Clippers is coming up next.

While the factory published those specfications, annually, for most years, they were sometimes issued ahead of the calendar year that, numerically, matches the model year - due to the timing of new model showing at dealers (typcially in the late fall). That can be confusing since the factory's annual index to this material was typically compiled by calendar year, but we have overcome that problem, with this online Service Index

The viewer need only click on the applicable Index (grouped by closely related Series) and, then, the SPECIFICATIONS categories. Look for the topic "Mechanical Specifications and Adjustments" for the specific Series and follow the link to the document (best to right-click and save).

Posted on: 2011/3/12 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Wasn't the 300 or Cavalier model a senior car with the same underpinnings as the 400 or Patrician?

Posted on: 2011/3/12 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen - I'm surprised you don't know that PackardInfo's collection of Service Counselors and Service Technical Bulletins (as well as some Studebaker Service Bulletins and Service Letters) are neatly indexed back through 1948

BH - I did know they are there, it's just that I have a preference for hardcopy and usually just go to my bookshelf instead. A sign of my age, I suppose. You guys that put all that time into collecting and organizing that information deserve our profuse thanks!

Posted on: 2011/3/12 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wasn't the 300 or Cavalier model a senior car with the same underpinnings as the 400 or Patrician?

Curious car, the 54 Cavalier. It's a Packard by brand name, not a Clipper, and hence a "senior" car, but it has the 327-5 main bearing engine Clipper engine; "junior" brakes (208 vs. 292 sq. inches of area), and suspension etc. are more junior car than senior car. Externally it's nearly a Patrician with the obvious exception of the lower rear door trim.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 13:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One point of correction on the Motor. While the '54 Cavalier did have a 327, it was not the 327 that came in the Clippers. The Deluxe and Super Clippers have the M3XXXXX motor which was a 327, 5-Bearing Solid lifters (165 HP) and the Cavalier had the M4XXXX motor which was 327, 5-Bearing Hydraulic Lifters (185hp).

Posted on: 2011/3/12 22:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
Right on the lifter difference on the Cavaliers. My Grandad's 53 Cavalier had hydraulic lifters.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
One point of correction on the Motor. While the '54 Cavalier did have a 327, it was not the 327 that came in the Clippers. The Deluxe and Super Clippers have the M3XXXXX motor which was a 327, 5-Bearing Solid lifters (165 HP) and the Cavalier had the M4XXXX motor which was 327, 5-Bearing Hydraulic Lifters (185hp).

The Cavaliers also came with a four barrel carburetor, like the Patrician while the Clippers with the 327 engine had a two barrel carburetor. The four barrel carburetor was worth 20 more horse power over the Clipper's 165.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/13 17:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved