Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Glovebox color
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, interesting that your glove box door has a pocket in it. Is this just for the Caribbeans? I don't ever recall seeing one with a pocket. Also, the yellow metal looking angle strip across the front, is that stock? I like that when the '55-'56 glove box doors are open they lie flat for a place to sit drink containers. Pre-cup holders.

(o([I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/26 22:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O_D, interesting that your glove box door has a pocket in it. Is this just for the Caribbeans? I don't ever recall seeing one with a pocket. Also, the yellow metal looking angle strip across the front, is that stock?

I never really gave it a thought, kind of assumed all the seniors were like that. I'm the 2nd owner and have known the car since the middle 60s, as far as I know it's "as sold new". Let's hear what the other 56 Caribbean convertible owners have to say. I'll check with a couple of other 56 owners tomorrow and perhaps can add more.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 23:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pocket & plastic retainer were standard on all 56 seniors. There was also a tray which had shallow depressions for cups which in practical use is almost worthless but it at least gives the idea. Here are photos from owners manuals. Unless they used generic photos or poor ones of interior, it also would appear to have the plain glove compt shown in 55 pict although all should have lined according to parts.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.04 KB)
209_4db799e34085b.jpg 346X238 px

jpg  (15.86 KB)
209_4db799ea95cb1.jpg 374X262 px

Posted on: 2011/4/26 23:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

Well, you may be surprised to hear this - or not. I was preping the 47 Custom Clipper for a show tomorrow and was detailing the interior. I opened the glove box and much to my surprise if found the remains of flocking on the door. Further looking around revealed that there was what must have been flocking on the back panel of the glove box. It looks that the interior of the glove box was flocked, the whole inside including the door. Sorry to have missed this in the earlier exchanges, but you know what Yogi said: "It is amazing what you can see when you look around." I hope this helps.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/6 21:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appreciate the info. Donjer only has a couple in a tan or brownish shade so will just toss the coin & pick one. Neither looks like what I think the original might be but may surprise me. Wonder if the worn flocking might also appear in a 22-23 series after all.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 22:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I just looked at the glove box from a 22nd Series Custom 8 parts car and it does show evidence of flocking. Also have one from a 2262 Deluxe 8 that has no sign of any flocking. Both have a texture on the inside surface that is sort of like a raised woodgrain pattern.

Posted on: 2011/5/7 0:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a 22nd series Custom with flocking and a 23rd series Custom without.

Posted on: 2011/5/7 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry JD. Had forgotten your post.

This simple box with all the complexities continues to amaze. One would think it would have been so much less trouble for Packard to have a single box except for those that needed a mount or shape difference. Make or buy them all the same for a probably cheaper price. Only one to stock so less hassle for parts people & storage needs. It really must have been a different era when a simple thing like a lined piece of cardboard is a signature feature in a cheaper vs expensive car--and yet in the 22-3, apparently not even that holds.

Posted on: 2011/5/7 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved