Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 194

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Glovebox color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for checking. As the old Laugh In character said, "Veeeeeeaaaary Interesting".

I have the same car and dash so was really expecting flocking on yours. Lack of any is surprising--as is the lack of any on the 50 Custom mentioned above. I knew the later ones didn't have any until something again in 55-6. Randy and I have been kicking that one around a bit and don't think either of us is sure it is flocking--but not ordinary cardboard or regular fabric either-almost thought it was a textured paper on one I tore apart--but maybe they flocked the paper and glued it on.

Here is what I have on my 47 box and with camera flash and different angle, am pretty sure now it was brown flocking of an unknown shade. As you see, I have several to pick from. Of course, I guess it could also be fungus and mold instead of flocking.

Would sure like another example or two if someone has something to offer.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.18 KB)
209_4d9b787ef15c3.jpg 640X400 px

Posted on: 2011/4/5 15:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I started sorting out the 22nd series Custom this morning and when I got to the glove box... it was flocked. Went back and re-checked the 23rd series in the corners, the top near the glove box door and everywhere else I thought there might be some flocking remaining but there is no trace whatsoever of flocking. I guess it's possible that every single fiber rubbed off at some point.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another of those wonderful Packard anomalies. The way I read the book, the Customs should have the same box 22-23 unless the junior one is not flocked and maybe was installed if they ran short or original was replaced at some point.

A similar is happening on the 56 box. Manual says two for 55- standard and one for AC but only the standard used for 56. Randy has found a second shorter box (probably the 55 AC box) is also used in 56--just not mentioned in the manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.24 KB)
209_4d9c9463ce23b.jpg 690X123 px

Posted on: 2011/4/6 11:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A little update to the smaller sized 56 with AC glovebox project. I know there are standard size 55-6 repro's available but the one I bought years ago didn't look quite right and also had to be cut down. I wanted a special size and to experiment and see how difficult it would be to make one that looked proper for the car and for my 47 or others where none is available. Randy was kind enough to provide dimensions of the proper size for factory AC boxes.

Made a template and then tried various cardboards. I found there is a vast difference in cardboard construction. Getting close to original (.070) thickness is one problem but the "grain" of the material for want of a better word is something else. The one with correct thickness cracked on bending. Steam may help and may experiment with that further. Also tried two thin sheets glued together with same result. Tried a much thicker (.105) waterproof door panel cardboard which seems to be made of many thin layers laminated together. That seems to be a winner so far although harder to work. Depending on how the covering turns out, may stick with it. Still a work in progress though.

Flocking color and best way to apply -- whether still flat before cardboard is bent or after box is made is still being contemplated. Flat would give the best coverage and much easier to apply but bending would probably destroy it. Have ordered some thin fabrics to see how they compare with original material and with flocking so stay tuned on that.

Here are a few pictures of the trials to date.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.88 KB)
209_4db452b461f1c.jpg 640X254 px

jpg  (19.78 KB)
209_4db452be576ff.jpg 640X395 px

jpg  (40.06 KB)
209_4db452c752dd3.jpg 640X637 px

jpg  (22.04 KB)
209_4db452d317737.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.12 KB)
209_4db452e1bed1c.jpg 640X336 px

jpg  (24.06 KB)
209_4db452eaca40d.jpg 640X355 px

jpg  (27.78 KB)
209_4db452f27d9bb.jpg 411X640 px

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking pretty good Howard.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Fine looking origami!

Posted on: 2011/4/24 20:51
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

Perhaps Ron Carpenter can help you with your questions. He makes replica glove box liners for some Packards.

I know for certain that the box in my '47 Custom Clipper was not flocked and the box in my '55 Clipper Super is also textured cardboard. Haven't checked the one in the 115C.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/24 21:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The glovebox thing is turning interesting--at least in postwar. Maybe also in prewar with Joe Santana's 40 box where the repro was flocked and the original wasn't--although there are at least 3 for a 40 listed. What exactly is correct is a question. Did Packard use different boxes in production than they made available for service replacement? I am starting to wonder if anything presented could be called incorrect -- flocked or unflocked -- patterned or not. Granted, a minor detail, but still if something were to be judged down to nitpicks at some prestigious show, how would you dispute.

Parts book shows one box for 47 and one standard box for 55-6. The 47 I have shown above is flocked and as far as I know, original. JW's box also shown above isn't flocked and as far as he knows, original. Same with the 55-6 box. Same box used both years according to parts with AC using a different one. That box was shorter but finished the same--flocked in the case of the standard ones I have and one AC box sent to me. JW again has an unflocked original in his 55. Some have mentioned 22-3 series as also unflocked. I don't have any to look at anymore but after this, I wouldn't bet money a flocked one wouldn't turn up. Tis a puzzlement.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.78 KB)
209_4db7166243302.jpg 663X149 px

Posted on: 2011/4/26 13:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting topic. There are plenty of unmolested Packards of various vintages around here and I'll start making some observations.

I did empty the glovebox of my 5699 (late car, #254, w/o A/C) for a looksee. At first touch it felt like flocking but it is not, its a soft gray cotton (?) fabric glued to the cardboard - very much similar to the kit I have from Carpenter but haven't installed. Also checked the 34 Eight, same thing - thin grey cotton fabric glued to backing board.

What I found in the glove box is quite a different story, but if you haven't looked in your lately you've probably got some surprises too.

Attach file:

jpg  (198.52 KB)
177_4db7209f20399.jpg 1500X1125 px

Posted on: 2011/4/26 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the info. I should not have used the word flocking on the 55-6 but needed a description. After tearing a couple of damaged boxes apart, could see it was not the same "flocking" as on the 47 box because that one rubs off and 56 doesn't.

Randy and I were not sure exactly what the material is on the 56. Your guess of thin cotton is as good as any. I was thinking it was even thinner -- maybe some kind of coated paper glued onto the cardboard. Am experimenting right now with some thin velvet which looks and feels reasonably close to the flocking but a bit softer and slightly thicker than the original. A different glue might take care of that softness. Still a work in progress though. So far, I like it and may go with it after some more input and experiments.

One repro box I bought many years ago appears to be velour which even I know is not correct--wrong texture and too thick. Cardboard was also cut to enable folds on that one. After the thick cardboard, can understand the cuts but am doing my best not to have any.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 15:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved