Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

installing a small block?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I currently bought a 1952 200 deluxe from a salvage yard in hopes to bring it back to life. The original engine is still in it but I am curious as to if it is possible to install a small block 302 without making any drastic changes to the body or frame. The reason for doing so is i'm still in high school; about to graduate; with not a whole lot of cash to work with to rebuild the current straight 8. I still would like to return the car to its original state once I get enough saved up. If anyone can offer a helping hand it would be greatly appreciated.

- Garrett

See the car athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_N_4wT8kA

Posted on: 2011/4/15 12:18
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: installing a small block?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to Packards. I expect you'll get several opinions on your project, some possibly negative. There are several considerations. Since you are replacing an engine and trans with one approx 2/3 the length, there will be motor mount fabrication needed. Body mods for clearance shouldn't be an issue and even frame clearance, but chances of not having a solid piece of steel on the frame where you need it are good and will be something to consider as to how to make it and not do damage to return to stock. Distance to radiator, steering item clearance may be an issue and drive shaft/drivetrain/linkage mods will also have to be in the budget. A lighter engine/trans may also require some suspension changes as well. There is one other fellow recently posting that is contemplating something similar with a Cadillac engine. I forget which year he has.

Does the engine or car run at all? If it does, it may be just as expensive to change the engine as to repair the original. They are really quite good engines, and if you have it, even the Ultramatic of that year is very dependable if adjusted and driven properly-- although definitely not a race transmission as a young fellow is apt to want. Leisurely is one of the kinder ways to describe the acceleration. If it's been abused and damaged, then that could be expensive to repair and not many places will work on them. If either is a consideration, a stick would be better. If you already have a stick in the car and plan to keep it, a Packard trans adapter to another engine might still be found but possibly expensive if you do.

Depending on what is needed, used and even new components for that series car are reasonably available and may be less expensive than you suspect. There are many here who can give some help as to what may be a problem and how to repair it.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 13:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In addition to what Howard said, a 302CID SBC is probably too small to lug around a Packard. A good 350CID or better yet a 400CID SBC would be a much better choice. All the issues associated with the swap are still the same.

Unless you are a skilled fabricator (being in HS, probably not), it will most likely be more $$ to swap than to just fix the Packard S8, even if someone gave you a good 302 SBC.

JMHO,

Craig

Posted on: 2011/4/15 13:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Easiest and cheapest plan would be to get the old girl running. Right now there are a couple of active threads by guys who have recently done just that. It is not too hard if you know what you are doing, if you do not know STOP do not go tearing everything apart, do not change anything if you can help it, inspect and diagnose first.

Next easiest and cheapest would be to rebuild your old engine. Parts are available, not too expensive, and a flathead straight eight is a fairly simple motor to work on.

If the rod is sticking out of the block 3d easiest and cheapest is to install another Packard engine. On this board, a couple of days ago, one member was offering a motor like yours, in good shape, for $300 bucks.

Last choice is to install some other make of motor. This is the hardest, and most expensive choice. For some reason newbies think it is easier to replace an engine with one that does not fit, than it is to fix the old engine. This is incorrect but it takes a few years experience to understand why.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Others have reported good success by soaking the insides of the motor with penetrating oil for a week or 2, then turning it over by hand, then hooking up the starter and ignition and getting it going. There are other details to it. If you want more specific instructions just ask.

In any case, please don't go tearing things apart until you know what you are doing. They are too easy to take apart and too hard to put together lol. Many neat old cars have wound up in the junk yard that way.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
We broke a tractor motor loose that had been siezed for YEARS with penetrating oil and working it and then dragging it behind another tractor and popping the clutch.

Don't do that, i can't believe we didn't break the rings. Did run good for years til we sold it though.

No matter what's wrong, the cheapest thing to do is fix it, or insure it and burn it down.

Don't do that either. We'll help you though. Fix it that is, not the burning down part.

If you do burn it down, i need some parts first

Posted on: 2011/4/15 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hi Garret, and welcome. Glad you are saving that car. I bought my first Packard at 14--and still have it uh, some years later.

Anyway, those 200s are great driving cars and you can have a lot of fun and good service with it.

It may really be much easier to make it run than you think. My own current 200 driver was a $500 junkyard beauty and was coughing and snorting to life about 2 hours after I got it home.

As several folks have mentioned, I agree you will be bucks ahead and sooner driving if you stick with the Packard engine. Plus, it is infinitely cooler. I'm sure none of your friend are running engines with 3 foot-long cylinder heads.

Stick or automatic? Post a few photos.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Great to see a high-schooler that's interested in (real) cars! Welcome!

As to the SBF 302, your instinct that it's a cheap and easy motor to work with are correct...if you own a Ford. In this case, I agree with the above posts insofar as the buy-in for the 302 might seem cheap but I really think it's going to be a wallet-buster in the final analysis.

If I were you, I'd do what you can with the motor you have. Trying to work it loose yourself could be great fun and a fantastic learning experience. I, however, would ask around and try to find a machine shop that knows their way around a flat head Packard and then offer to sweep their floors, clean their bathrooms and get them lunch in exchange for the needed engine work. You'll get a brand "new" engine, some work experience and maybe even a job or career out of the deal. And, hey, it beats the hell out of working at McDonalds.

Good luck! and send pictures...we're nosy around here.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 23:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Garrett/GearRat52,
Was thinking your Forum name was an anagram of your first name, but see it's close but not quite! to PackardInfo, always good to have new members on board. And I invite you to include your '52 200 Deluxe in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 23:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thank you all for your immediate responses. I was worried that parts would be extremely hard to come by, and over the phone quotes for machining and parts were in the area of $2000 or more. That's why I was I entertaining the 302 idea, because I knew parts would be inexpensive and plentiful. But, now I will definitely try to get the ol' thunderbolt going. It's a complete car why change it now? And it truly is an awesome engine. One question I have is how can you tell if it is an automatic or standard tranny? I have a clutch pedal but no floor shifter. And do you know where I can get a distributor? That is the one thing I know i'm missing.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 23:53
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved