Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

ak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 Patrician Delco Remy Starter Solenoid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, My 56 Patrician has just clocked over the 50,000 miles with the original Delco Starter 1107656 and it has had the odd time when it has gone "click" with no start. It has decided to fail completely due to the green lead, resistor terminal breaking out of the bakelite. I purchased a 55-56 starter solenoid from ebay about 5 years ago but have discovered that it does not have the terminal for the ignition ballast resistor. Does anyone know of a source for a solenoid overhaul kit or a new solenoid suitable for the Patrician starter?. I shall repair the existing solenoid as a temporary measure but would prefer to get a good spare as the contactors are well worn. Best Regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (68.93 KB)
154_4dba8c380e10e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/29 5:01
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Patrician Delco Remy Starter Solenoid
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
we have the solenoid you need at kanter auto prod. 800-526-1096 ext 336

Posted on: 2011/4/29 6:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As a stopgap measure to get a little more life out of it, you can flop the copper rings and bolts to get a fresh surface for contact. You probably figured that out for yourself.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 6:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check with NAPA, the replacement solenoid for Delco was NAPA/Echlin ST-100 (ST-103 for Auto-Lite models) and the repair kit was STK-2 for Delco. They may still be available, same solenoid used on some models of Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Hudson, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Rambler, GMC, International and Reo.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both Delco numbers appear to still be good at Napa although I don't see a 4th terminal on them either. In the end views of kit, here does look to be a hole in the cap that might be for either the 4th or possibly the solenoid winding terminal.

If the hole is there for that ballast purpose, then would guess the old transfers. If not, is there a depression or indication in the solenoid from ebay you have that could be drilled where it would be possible to transfer or install that finger and terminal to make it look correct.

Electrically, I don't see why you would need it since the 4th terminal is exactly the same potential and duration as the large one going to motor windings. The cut away view of the solenoid in SM shows a contact finger on the 4th terminal which the movable plate touches at the same time it connects the other two.

I goofed. As Ross pointed out, there will be a ground connection thru motor so it will not work directly to winding connection without the contact or some other means to break the circuit.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.65 KB)
209_4dbb035142dd4.jpg 756X219 px

jpg  (34.37 KB)
209_4dbb0358cdbb0.jpg 756X361 px

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One more time - guys, if your car is a keeper, get this stuff while it's still available - I'll bet it won't be for much longer.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote: Check with NAPA.....
Dave,

If only it was that simple, no NAPA stores in Oz! And, a while ago, when I tried to buy a part on-line I couldn't because I was outside the US, but may have changed now.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 16:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had overlooked that, but shouldn't be a problem to have someone over here buy it for you and ship it over. Let's see how many volunteers we get.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, Thanks heaps for the many leads and good advice on this repair. Best Regards and as Owen-Dyneto reminds us: "get those spares while you still can". Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:23
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whoa there boys. If you hook the the wire to the resistor to the motor winding terminal on the starter, yes it will be hot while the motor is cranking, but the motor will act as a near dead short to the ignition when it isn't cranking! The backfeed from the ignition to that motor winding will be tremendous.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 20:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved