Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

Joe Santana, pmhowe, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

rear axle seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Anybody have the # for a rear axle seal for 1953 Pat with automatic trans.I want seals on hand before I take it apart.
Thank You

Posted on: 2011/5/2 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: rear axle seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Inner oil seal= 384215
outer oil seal= 324961

Two each required

Posted on: 2011/5/2 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I thought their was just an outer seal and gasket in the middle of the brakes. Do you have a picture? also are the #'s new or old?Do you have a C/R #?
Thank You

Posted on: 2011/5/2 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a photo illustration showing both seals in the parts manual and also the SM shows the special tool to install the inner seal in housing behind the bearing.

No good info on a Packard xref number for the inner seal although a Studebaker list gives a ref as 384215 being a Victor 49184, CR 15176 or National 410190. No idea if this is correct.

Some old Packard xrefs give the 324961 outer seal for a 55 senior axle as a Victor 49282, CR 22390 C/R-22382 or National-473473. This also matches the Studebaker list. The senior rear axle assy was the same 53-55, and parts books confirms the same seal number used 53-55.

Edit: corrected CR # and added another CR & National # for outer seal per info in later post by walkerman.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Apost about a specific year car should be in the correct year category. That way owners of cars in yoiur year range will be able to help you and also learn form one another.

The only exception would be if you asked a question about General MacArthur's '41/2? Clipper , then of course it would belong under "General"

Posted on: 2011/5/2 21:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

walkerman wrote:
I thought their was just an outer seal and gasket in the middle of the brakes. Do you have a picture? also are the #'s new or old?Do you have a C/R #?
Thank You

walkerman, the Packards of these years, and previous ones too, use a tapered roller bearing. The bearing is not sealed; therefore, it requires an inner seal to keep the differential lubricant from washing out the bearing grease, and an outer one to keep the bearing grease form leaking out onto the brakes. You will see this if you study an illustration of the rear axle bearing.

Rear axle bearing maintenance is one of the more overlooked jobs on these cars. The bearings require repacking periodically.

Removing and installing the inner seal can be a bit tricky, especially the installation to get it squared into the bore correctly. A seal installation tool is recommended.

I gather you are versed in how to remove the rear brake drums. If not it has been a topic of discussions on this site and can be accessed through the search feature.

Also, be sure to replace the shims and axles as they came off, do not mix sides. Very important for axle end play. If you like I made a simple fixture to check axle end play and can post it for you.

If you do not already have one, I recommend getting a service manual either in paper form (new or reprint), or downloading the manual from this site, which I think is available.

Good luck, and let us know about your success.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/2 21:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I did post that it is a 1953 Patrician with Ultramatic Trans

Posted on: 2011/5/3 5:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
walkerman -

I think what Fred is trying to point out that, in addition to the General forum (where this thread began), we have other forums for different eras of Packard vehicles:

Pre-War (1899-1942)

Post-War (1946-54)

V-8 (1955-56)

Studebaker Built Packards (1957-58)

...and even one for...

ZIS, ZIL, and other Packard Cousins

...where one's question about a specific vehicle might get more specific attention from members with similar interests and experience.

Although you did get some good info from a couple of members, a thread can get lost rather quickly in the thick of the General forum - especially with a generic title like "rear axle". Some people won't look past the title.

Placement of the thread is also important as the forums serve as a reference book of information for others. As such, perhaps our webmaster, BigKev, can move this thread to the Post-War (1946-54) forum.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"also are the #'s new or old?"

Here's how it works:
Take the two numbers that Dallas provided and go to your favorite supplier with those numbers to see if they have or can cross the numbers into a seal for your application. Try more than one supplier if the first one can't find a seal.

Quote:
"also are the #'s new or old?Do you have a C/R #?"

Does it really matter if it is CR or not???? In many cases numbers for seals a nd bearings cross among various manufacturers. What's wrong with a National, New Departure or any other brand name of seal?????

IT's real simple, just take the two numbers provided by Dallas and run with them. That's what everyone else does in the wonderful world of automobile parts whether Packard Chev, Yugo or anything else.

Tell us what u find out.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 9:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8's suggestion may well work out OK. But when you don't have #s, seals are easily identified by dimensions. All seal manufacturers have master catalogs by dimension which a good auto store should have. Just measure the ID of the recess the seal fits into, the OD of the shaft that it seals against, and the thickness of the seal. Tell the store you want a grease seal and that should be it.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 9:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved