Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

todd landis, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Packard Clipper Deluxe Upholstery
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dev
See User information
Friends, I need your help.I want to do the Upholstery of my '47 Clipper DeLuxe (4dr sedan) in the original fabric. I do not know what pattern & color of the fabric DeLuxe Clipper Eight had.
I wrote to Bill Hirsch and he very promptly replied, has material for the Custom Clipper not for Deluxe anymore.

Will anyone have the original kind of fabric or knows where i can order from? Also if someone is making the complete interior kit with the original lookalike fabric, door pads and headliner for my car,as i do not intent to use the material and pattern which she never came with.
I hope you all understand my worry and help me bail out of this confusion.
Regards
Dev

Posted on: 2011/5/17 12:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Packard Clipper Deluxe Upholstery
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think your best bet your be SMS Fabrics. They are not cheap, nor are they quick.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 12:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There appears to have been two combinations available in the deluxe--code 56 broadcloth part # 386000 and 57 # 386004. Unfortunately, we don't go back that far with upholstery fabric sample photos on site.

In addition to SMShttp://www.smsautofabrics.com/ you might also try Lebaron Bonneyhttp://www.lebaronbonney.com/ and see if they have anything. If you have any hidden upholstery in the car where there might still be a small sample--say from under a seat you could send a piece or a photo to them asking what they have, it might help. There may be some photos in the photo section of an original interior but the only other color pictures would seem to be from a brochure and really not much help. I don't know of anyone making a correct kit.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.51 KB)
209_4dd2b5f66296c.jpg 542X50 px

jpg  (17.66 KB)
209_4dd2b60f7f0f6.jpg 490X137 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 12:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't know for a fact but I suspect the check-design option might have been similar to the check (some call it hounds-tooth) design available in the 47 Super Clipper. In that set the seat cushions and backs are checked, the headliner and door panels etc. are solid color, just as was done with the pinstripe option. The solid color wool broadcloths are of course no problem to source from any number of vendors.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 14:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dev
See User information
Thank you so much for this wonderful input.

Is it possible to have some pictures of both of these options?

The checks would be great, any idea what color these may be?

Also the color combination of the stripe fabric and leatherette will help me choose the right color.

Btw, I have painted the car in Lowell Grey and Black combination.Please do suggest the correct combination of upholstery as I am given to understand there were two colors, tan and ??

Cheers!
Dev

Posted on: 2011/5/17 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dev,
to PackardInfo, not too many members from India so you've helped swell those ranks. And I invite you to include your '47 Clipper Deluxe in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 15:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the only two upholstery options for the 2111 Deluxe were those mentioned and either was available on your paint scheme.

As to photos and colors of the upholstery, unless someone has a showroom fabric book or one of the cars using those trims & can post a photo or two, it appears there are none on site here. The only pictures I see in the photo section showing interiors are either those using the solid color broadcloths or a 6 with a completely different pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.61 KB)
209_4dd2dc47348ed.jpg 888X507 px

jpg  (81.63 KB)
209_4dd2dc4fd479e.jpg 839X716 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have several samples from SMS and one was an exact match to the striped broadcloth of my Super Clipper. If I am correct the Deluxe and Super Clippers used the same fabric with the Custom have the solid colours wool cloth. I located an unfaded sample from under the seat and mailed it to SMS and they sent back an almost perfect match. Perhaps unfortunately I didn't buy the fabric as at the time the Canadian dollar was trading at about 65 cents US and the fabric was priced at about $115US per yard and the cost was prohibitive for me at the time. I can look up the sample take a photo for you or mail you the sample which matched my Clipper. Here is a photo of the rear seat of my Packard with the original upholstery. Is it similar to yours? Sorry for the poor quality!

Attach file:

jpg  (75.28 KB)
13_4dd2e363185cd.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
please keep in mind that these comments are based on the 22nd series , not 21st.

Lowell Gray was carried over, but not in two tone combination, for the 22nd. I have seen restored cars with a very good match to the original shade (dark gray with fine metallic).

The Eight came with a check - a three shades of brown houndstooth. To my knowledge there is no authentic reproduction. There is a Lebaron Bonney (Mercury?) repro that is a larger check.

The Eight DeLuxe and Super Eight used a striped broadcloth. You may be able to match this type. The tip in sending a small piece is a very good one. The patterns are typical of period upholstery.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Have you considered using leather? It was an option for all the Clippers. They may have been the first Packard line that made leather an option for closed cars. Our '41 had leather so we found a very close match and went with it. We are very happy we did...

Attach file:

jpg  (92.19 KB)
564_4dd9af1ddeaaf.jpg 909X1024 px

jpg  (46.17 KB)
564_4dd9af57180f0.jpg 743X968 px

Posted on: 2011/5/22 19:52
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved