Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1928/1929 Paint schemes and roof color 526/626
Just popping in
Just popping in

Frank Hopkins
See User information
Blondie here is what it might look like if I used the same color on the roof as I on the spare tire cover (similar to the khaki that they used to use for the convertible tops). Note that I did use maroon on the trim strip that follows the leather top. and both the top and the tire covers would be a khaki leather with a fine grain (very similar to the Elk grain that they used to use).

Would this be a fopaux?

Attach file:

jpg  (59.48 KB)
4094_4ea7a390d262a.jpg 812X404 px

Posted on: 2011/10/26 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Frank,
for including your '29 Standard Eight Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 15:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
There's been a lot of 1 on 1 discussions lately regarding top color, or more approriately, top "insert" color. Use your parts book even though it's a royal PITA to get through. You will find an additive designed to keep the car color flexible, to be used for top inserts when another color is specified besides black.

Somewhere (we're moving the shop and my library is hit!) I have a "Service Letters" entry regarding painting the top inserts and using that additive to resist cracking.

So here we are in 2011...NOW WHAT!??!?

It's easy kids, just relax. Go to a commercial paint supplier that handles body shop supplies. The product name you want is SEM Vinyl Paint. It works. No further discussion needed. It works. There's a prep solution they also offer. USE IT. Don't cheap out and do the old lacquer thinner trick (which used to work really good). You can have SEM vinyl paint made in just about any color and go for an egg shell or semi-gloss finish. It will resist heat related issues due to it's lack of high gloss and it should look correct. Consider that our beloved OEM was building cars in a "job shop" manner. That most of them were worth several Fords or Chevys of the same vintage. That they had a very discrimianting clientele. Of course they went the extra mile to make their product stand above the rest.

Here's an update. This is quoted from a reprint of the Packard Service Letters 7th-12th. As found on page 6:

"Lacquering Leatherette Tops

The procedure used at the factory for lacquering leatherette tops is as follows:

1. The leatherette is recieved from the vendor in a neutral color with the ground coats already applied and ready for lacquer.

2. Apply 2 double coats of color to be mixed as follows:

Two parts heavy lacquer

One part Federal Plasticizer

Reduce with No.101 solvents for spraying

The plasticizer is intended to produce a plastic surface
which will not crack.

The amount used on a sedan top is approximately 1 quart of mixed material ready for spraying.

Material refered to can be obtained from Service Stores."

Posted on: 2011/10/31 8:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Frank Hopkins
See User information
You guys are awsome. Thanks for all the help. One more question through: Actual elk hide leather is only a couple hundred dollars more that elk grain vinyl, and will stretch over the corners of my top a lot better than vinyl. Can I use real leather. Note that Elk season starts in less than a month and either I or one of my party usually get at lease one and throw the hides away). It would seem cool to have downed by own top.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
leather exposed to the elements???? if the use is real light you might get by if you coat it.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Leather would be very kool IMO. It's a Packard, right? We're not doing musclecars or Model As, we're in the process of returning an iconic motorcar to life. Several high end OEMs offered genuine leather for tops. They were usually found on formal sedans and Landualet styled coachwork, but that didn't stop the buyer from asking for it on their car. Make sure it's a nice heavy grade and have it dyed the color you want right from the start. Plan on "feeding" that top with Neetsfoot Oil at least once or twice annually. In between oil treatments, using a good low gloss leather protectant will last a long time. How do your shoes hold up in inclement weather? Do you own an outdoor set of leathers like bibs or jackets? Even forgotten those hold up well in the worst environments.

I'd look into the cost of processing your elk hides. Even without dying them, properly processed is the key to long life. Yes you can dye genuine leather with the SEM product I mentioned above. You'd replace Neetsfoot oil treatments with standard leather protectants, but avoid "Armorall" type products. Good luck, and you're a bastid if we don't get pics of the top!!!

Posted on: 2011/11/1 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah, I guess it might be cool. Leather tops, often padded, were as just pointed out usually a feature of the very high end models and those with custom coachwork, usually then only on the very formal body styles. But the 526/626 were the bread-and-butter, high volume Classics and I doubt there were many (any?) done with special features like this. If future value is important to you, I'd make sure I could document the feature before I spent all that money. If not, your car and your $, have fun.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 9:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved