Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

Don B, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

The quest for the three ring pulley (chapter 36b)
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
If you need three rings, four is better because it provides a margin of safety as well as enhanced capacity. Right?

Bought this at a 55/56 Packard garage sale. What exactly is it? Part of a PTO from an Oliver tractor?

The vendor I went with assured me it was perfect, which tells you something.....

Attach file:

jpg  (85.69 KB)
2488_4e03e5ef67c0b.jpg 793X828 px

jpg  (85.56 KB)
2488_4e03e60b47134.jpg 837X828 px

jpg  (53.09 KB)
2488_4e03e61c7a2f2.jpg 538X828 px

Posted on: 2011/6/23 20:22
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: The quest for the three ring pulley (chapter 36b)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's disappointing. Don't recall any pulleys Packard had that attached with 6 bolts and none with that configuration so no ideas. If it is Packard, maybe some one can enlighten me.

The V8 pulleys have some stamped or cast depressions and matching areas in the neck area which nest or key together into the damper assy. All are held to the crankshaft by a single 3/4 bolt/washer. If you have nothing now, options I can think of are:

Cheapest "semi-proper" way would be to find another power steering pulley. Would also need some washers to use as spacers between the two pulleys since they are the same size so won't nest completely. Also need a longer main bolt. Downside is it is slightly larger diameter than original and not the optimal size for driving the compressor. Sandens will handle it though. The better options IMHO, would be to see if Jack Vines still has any used ones or to get one of Jack Nordstroms repros.http://www.comalnet.com/Packard/

There have been some who have just used a longer belt and mounted the compressor in a way so as to use one of the existing drives. Downside to that is the longer belt routing and need to make sure the pulley wrap is sufficient so all pulleys get a decent driving contact area.

Of course, a mount where the spare groove on the compressor can drive the alternator is always an option although probably not the best.

EDIT: That may be a Studebaker engine pulley. Theirs appear to mount with 6 bolts onto a flat vibration damper assy. Maybe one of the Stude guys can confirm or deny.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Wrong!!!!! Why would you buy something that you dont know what it fits? Sounds like shame on buyer!!!!!Purchase of a parts books is a wise investment.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 5:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Attempting to run a DUAL pulley AC pump mite develope fan , water pump pulley, drive pulley to radiator, drive pulley to fan clearence problems or other clearence problems. Need to do at least a crude mock up to determine clearences and belt routings.

Take a look at these pics. Note the AC pump belt running close to fan. NOTE SPACER BETWEEN FAN AND water puMP pulley. Not clear in pic but AC belt will ever so sloightly rubb pump pulley if i gets slightly loose.

Since u are adding a SECOND belt the belt MUST set forward of the belt in the pic of my set up. Unless u are completely rerouting ALL other belts in some way.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5043&forum=3&post_id=54236#forumpost54236

Bottom line: U just mite be able to shoe horn a dual belt arrangement into a Packard V* AC set up but it's going to be real close.

As for the 4 row pulley Patgreen pictured above it just mite work but getting it centered and dogged to the harmonic balancer along with other potential clearence problems just mite be a "time and material" cost basis project and often such attempts are beyond either average automotive tech's skill level and/or beyond their interest level to do so.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 7:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUote:
"Wrong!!!!! Why would you buy something that you dont know what it fits?"

It's called R&D work!!! Not necessary if someone has a complete OEM Packard V8 AC system they can sell to PatGreen. He's trying to get AC on his car!!!

Posted on: 2011/6/24 7:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not sure what PatGreens 'new' 4 row pulley originaly fits. I'll guess JeeP engines (which includes AMC built engines) ca. 1945 thru 1966 or maybe later. Alternator, smog pump(ca. 1970 and later) , water pump, power steering, and small Hyd pump for snow plow. Just a guess to start with. The SIX bolt holes mite allow for FORWARD PTO drive or even hand crank early models.

I seem to recall six bolt holes in either JeeP, AMC front engine pulley up thru 1966 or later to allow for accessory drives.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Let's just say that I did not overextend myself with this purchase.

Actually, I now have a genuine Packard pulley, so all is well that way.

All I need is the six blade fan, and I have several leads for that.

Two steps forward and the mandatory one or two back every now and then.....

Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This talk of larger fans has be wondering.....did the 53/54 AC equipped cars use a different fan?

Posted on: 2011/6/24 23:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The parts book shows a different fan for 54th Series with AC, but it is the same fan specified for all 24th-26th-25th Series cars ('51-'53).

That larger fan was implemented, per STB 51T-30, as an upgrade for 24th Series models with low speed cooling issues, but apparently became standard issue from then on - until 54th Series.

Nothing listed specifically for 26th Series ('53) cars with AC, but I would assume that the stock fan would be sufficient - since it was used on 54th Series cars with AC.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seems I remember reading somewhere that the critical raw materials requirements of the Korean War required car manufacturers to reduce use of copper, brass, nickel and other metals which led to a less-efficient radiator which was compensated for by a change in fan. Don't recall the year this was effective, perhaps 1952? Ring a bell with anyone else?

Posted on: 2011/6/25 9:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved