Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 252

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Want to learn something you didn't know about Packard V8s?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Generally, on marine engines where the motor is slanted slightly towards the rear, the intake manifold is different so that the carb and fuel level in the carb is still somewhat level.

How the hell does this boat run at all normal at anything other than WOT with the engine stuffed in at that angle?! Maybe the hot cam is really just the engine running rough at idle because of how off the two carbs are?

Posted on: 2011/7/19 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The angle that the engine is at is not untypical of an inboard runabout setup, but still on the extreme side (see pic). There are usually twin carbs, and they are tricky to set up without having gas drizzling out the back carb. On my '61 V8 runabout, the carbs are sing barrel side-draft units, undoubtedly to keep a lower profile than would be possible with downdrafts. This said, there is a mention of a "supercharger" which of course makes the whole setup even higher, requiring a very high "doghouse," the likes of which on this boat I've never seen. it's possible to set up the carbs to work, but it makes a very ungainly package.

As far as the "574" Packard, I think that's been settled as either wishful thinking or a typo. When I saw it, the first thought that came to mind was-- typo.

There have been numerous V8 Packard engines converted for marine use mentioned on this forum and elsewhere. They're mostly custom jobs, not even associated with one of the manufacturers who do marine conversions of automobile engines.

This is just another one of those custom conversions, I believe, It's a one-off (or maybe a two-off) so you could expect a lot of surprises.

Jack, if you really want to check out this fellow's bona fides, ask him if the engine is "reverse rotating." If he doesn't know this, he has no familiarity with the boat's mechanicals AT ALL. The stamping on the prop would tell him if it's LH or RH rotating, and yes, the engine would have a special cam! How else could it be set up to run "backwards?"

Jack, if you're really lusting for a V8 powered "vintage" runabout, how about taking a look at mine? Here's the engine layout. Quite clean, if I do say so myself:

Attach file:

jpg  (66.89 KB)
917_4e262d4da88c1.jpg 1198X594 px

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Do you think they meant 574 horsepower and not cubic inches?

Posted on: 2011/7/20 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Do you think they meant 574 horsepower and not cubic inches?
No, the seller has finally admitted it was just a typo on some notes he had made. It's a 352" supposedly bored to 374".
Quote:
There have been numerous V8 Packard engines converted for marine use mentioned on this forum and elsewhere. They're mostly custom jobs, not even associated with one of the manufacturers who do marine conversions of automobile engines.
Actually, Stokes Marine of Clearwater, MI, bought several dozen Packard V8s and offered them as turnkey conversions in their catalog.
Quote:
Jack, if you're really lusting for a V8 powered "vintage" runabout, how about taking a look at mine? Here's the engine layout. Quite clean, if I do say so myself:
Very clean, indeed. Is your engine a Ford 292" Y-block? The custom Packard engine is the reason that particular boat appealed to me.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/20 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Jack,

How about this beauty! This was in the the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, that we toured during The Packard Meet in Galena.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.55 KB)
1220_4e27ac8ad0b58.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (87.27 KB)
1220_4e27acb5d9187.jpg 956X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/7/20 23:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/20 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
http://bayarea.ebayclassifieds.com/cl ... kard-powered/?ad=10699364

Yes, I've long been aware of this car. FWIW, two years ago, I went to Rich Fox's garage and tried it on for size, but it is just too small inside for me. Also, I couldn't get motivated about an orange Vega, even if it has a Packard V8. The SCTA has really increased their safety regs in the past few years and the car will need some changes to head restraints, side window net and have the glass replaced with plastic.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/21 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Here are some photos of a Marine V8 that we have from Stokes Marine Supply.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.48 KB)
753_4e288d4bac79a.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (126.69 KB)
753_4e288d59bdf34.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (113.24 KB)
753_4e288d65e7c3c.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2011/7/21 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
One more photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.23 KB)
753_4e288dab217c0.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2011/7/21 15:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There's a very nicely restored Stokes marine conversion on exhibit at the Warren museum. It was restored and donated by Mr. Ole Book of New Jersey. An IM-245 and IM-356 are also on display.

Fred - question for you. What's the significance of the "C" with the "L" thru the center of it on the V8 block? We know that Packard sold their castings and forging plant in 1954 and I've often wondered if this might be the logo or trademark of the firm they contracted the engine block castings to for 1955 and 1956. Kind of like the "CWC" on Hudson and other make engine blocks and on many crankshafts and camshafts. CWC was the logo for Campbell, Wyant & Cannon, once one of the largest foundry operations in the US. They are today owned by Textron and primarily manufacture camshafts. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2011/7/21 17:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved