Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 102

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

22 Series 327 in a 17 Series Super 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Does anyone know if a 22 Series 327 can be swapped over into a 17 Series Super 8 (320) as a bolt in job or will there have to be a lot of modification? I have a 22 Series engine available and a 17 Series Super 8 possibility with probably no engine. I need to know if I can bolt the 327 engine to the older engine brackets and transmission of the 320 engine. does anyone have any idea?
OR, even better, does anyone know of a running 320 from a 39 that is available? Gene

Posted on: 2011/8/9 4:28
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print 

Re: 22 Series 327 in a 17 Series Super 8?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Not a bolt in swap. But have a look at this thread. A couple of Packard mandated "swaps" are detailed in the links provided and could be of help.

It would be much, much better, not to mention easier, if you obtained a '39 320 engine so have a look at this other thread. Although The Flackmaster is hot on the scent of these two cars, maybe you could be part of a three corned deal?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 5:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Prejudiced position aside, the 327 is a MUCH better engine. It would be well worth the effort to do this swap, and as noted in the referenced link, PeterPackard has done this swap. There are also Factory instructions to do this swap - I've posted them already somewhere here...and I have driven PeterPackards car, its a real hotrod! LOVE IT.
And with all due respect, Mal, the 320 engine is a horrendously more expensive and complex engine to rebuild - there are diatribes miles long on this topic, from blocks that have a tendency to crack, connecting rod/bearing issues $$$ to crankshaft balancing, carburetor inlets, cracking manifolds along with significantly less power and overall reliability. The 288/327 engines are light years ahead in modern design (valvetrain), and parts can be obtained at every regular outlet without the drama of mortgaging the house....

Posted on: 2011/8/9 7:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Actually, it is because of this deal that I am looking for an engine. I won't go into the details of a private deal here in public but I am surprised. Gene

Posted on: 2011/8/9 8:23
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If I understand correctly, you have a 327 available. A 9-main bearing 327 would be wonderful, but the other versions are great engines too. Have you considered a 356 for your Super 8? Just a thought...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/9 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I don't have the Super 8 yet but am in the process of getting it. I already have a good 1950 288 engine setting on a tire but thought that the 327 is closer to the original in power and the 288 might come up short. I would actually rather have the car original but when I consider that I plan to use it to drive and don't really plan to put it in big time car shows the originality only counts to my purist heart. What should really be more important is getting this fine old car back on the road as a testament to the durability and lasting quality of the Packard automobile.
I've got a 36 Chevy and the metal just is not the same quality I've found on the Packard and to find a Packard of the era I've looked for that I can actually afford to put back on the road is something I can't pass up if I can figure out a way to do it. And, it seems, from the Packard literature, that Packard made provisions for just such an "upgrade" in their engines. Gene

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:07
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And, it seems, from the Packard literature, that Packard made provisions for just such an "upgrade" in their engines.

And therein begs a question. What would be worse at a show--the proper engine with a wrong engine number or a completely and properly documented albeit different replacement engine with a different wrong number--or for that matter, any other item replaced but authentically documented.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Actually, I think you have "hit the nail on the head". That is the decision I've come to on this. Packard, based on this literature, has already "sanctioned" this type of engine replacement as being within a legitimate action taken by Packard dealers. So, why should we look at it any differently, or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself. Either way, the result is the same. The car was offered to me and I'll take it and go and get the engine and begin the process of getting the engine bay ready for its new heart.
The literature said nothing about issues with the transmission so I'm really praying that it will bolt right up to the engine. In fact, I'll probably pull it ahead of time and make sure it is OK and then mate them together ahead of time to make sure there are no issues. That 4-post lift and bridge jack I got is going to start earning its spot in the barn.
Then, I'm going to have to be truly content because I will have the two era cars I really wanted in the Packard line and that, in itself, is special. My wife tells me that she just does not understand my fascination with old cars.
BUT, just think, this 1930 car will be over 70 years old and find itself back on the road with a new, somewhat younger, heart. It will make me feel good the day I start it up and pull it out of the barn. After that, I'm sure it will outlast me and that is what it is really all about. Gene

Posted on: 2011/8/9 18:24
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Gene, I think you can rest easy with this one. seems to me you are doing it for all the right reasons and if Packard thought it was a good idea who are we to disagree? As you say we are not talking about concourse judging.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 20:27
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Gene,

I have a '39 320 engine available if you are still considering keeping the car as manufactured. Respond in this thread if interested and I will log in and PM you.

Jim

Posted on: 2011/8/9 20:46
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved