Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 215

Packard Don, Bingo, Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Springs for BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hi All.

Planning to rebuild a BTV, I wonder where to get, if possible, new (unused) springs for compensator- and master cylinder check valves.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/8/10 13:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Springs for BTV
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This discussion on replacement springs came up before and when it was suggested to vendors it might be nice to include them in rebuild kits, the stated opinion was no need as they don't wear out.

Don't think you can find any unless you luck upon NOS somewhere or can possibly cross to a new manufacture stock item via their specs. One rebuilder is reported to have had some made for his personal use with his rebuilds but won't sell them.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 14:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Rocky, I hope that you will find the springs and against all odds it definitely could increase your chances if you would search outside of the "ZIS, ZIL, and other Packard Cousins" - subcategory.

With your leave we should ask BigKev to move the thread into the postwar category.

The picture below shows the filler necks of an automatic control line for springs in Moscow. After hardening and tempering the springs passed through an electrical resistance measurement.

[picture source: Fortune Magazine 1961]

Attach file:

jpg  (20.34 KB)
757_4e43b51266532.jpg 350X459 px

jpg  (10.50 KB)
757_4e43b5206117c.jpg 199X250 px

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My mistake and age.
You have my leave.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Tom, I can't see any mistake and think it is a sign of Norwegian originality to search in unknown areas. PM to BigKev sent. Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:52
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/8/10 16:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When sourcing the compensator valve spring, don't forget that the original was stainless steel for a good reason, and as such I wonder if they really need routine replacement? If you can't find stainless, perhaps phosphor-bronze or beryllium copper would serve as well? In any case you want complete corrosion resistance to whatever environment it might encounter.

Randy Berger was searching for a replacement spring a while back - perhaps he'll chime in if he had any success. As I recall, there was a spring in Century Spring's catalog that appeared close.

http://centuryspring.aiprx.com/?teng=go&geng=br&aeng=1

Posted on: 2011/8/10 17:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The spring is Stainless for corosion resistance to water. To make it out of beryllium copper or other material will perhaps give yoiu resistance to auqa regia and sulphuric acid etc, but if such contaminants are in your BTV you have bigger problems. Have faith that the engineers at Bendix knew what they were doing adn that no superior material to stainless has been discovered for corrosion resistance ot water in the past 60 years.

Engine valve springs deteriorate from milions of comprsessions, brake springs from elongation cycles and heat.

Compensator valve springs have a minimal displacement in use. Replacing one that has not been physically damaged by errant pliers makes as much sense to me as replacing a camshaft sprocket nut when replacing the sprocket. There is a mistaken belief in my opinion from dealing with BTV units that the springs wear, deteriorate or are manufactured too weak. Like ghosts, it's a superstition in my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hi,

Thank you all for your answers.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/8/11 12:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved