Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 232

curpack, BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Trans Fluid for a twin ultramatic? Power Steering fill mark and fluid?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My trans has been running fine....but who knows about the future.

I got my car a year and a half ago and have no idea what is in the trans, or whether the trans has new parts or old parts.

I have a trip coming up and think I should pack a quart of trans fluid "just in case".

So what do I get?

56 Patrician, FWIW

PS

Same stuff in Power steering vat? What is full--there is no dipstick in the cap?

Posted on: 2011/9/20 12:22
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Trans Fluid for a twin ultramatic?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
This is a good summary to answer questions about Ultramatic fluids.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Trans Fluid for a twin ultramatic?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There doesn't seem to be a fluid labeled as absolutely 100% compatible with all cars. Unless you are going to change the fluid, I think it would be best to find out what is in there now and buy appropriately.

As Brian mentioned in his FAQ thread referenced above, If you do change fluid, then type F or one of its later compatible blends has been the standard fluid used in a properly functioning Ultramatic for years--even with rebuild parts. The trick shift has been reported to be an excellent choice as well..

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Trans Fluid for a twin ultramatic? Power Steering fill mark and fluid?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
For what it's worth, Mr. Ultramatic himself, Bob Aller, always, always used Dexron/Mercon type ATF in his rebuilds. I have used this type ATF for 25 years now with excellent shifting in both our V-8s.

As for the Power Steering dipstick - there should be one, but they are usually lost/missing it seems. If you haven't looked in the bottom of the bowl, it could be resting down under the surface. Make sure your filter is well covered if nothing else!

Posted on: 2011/9/20 18:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As for the Power Steering dipstick - there should be one, but they are usually lost/missing it seems

If memory serves, there is either a TSB or Service Counselor that deals with the elimination of the power steering dipstick inside the filler cap. Can't say I recall the reason but it was deliberate.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The answer to the power steering question is right under your nose.

Go to Packard Service Index...

...then, click on 1955-56 (55th->56th Series)...

...then, click on Suspension & Steering...

...look for the topic, "Power Steering Pump Reservoir Dip Stick"...

...and follow the document link to... SC Vol. 29, No. 8, p. 41

Posted on: 2011/9/20 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The bulletin states that oil should be filled to cover the filter.

Filter?

Is it something that needs to be replaced or cleaned?

Posted on: 2011/9/21 10:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes - there's a filter in the reservoir; any hydraulic system like that needs to have the finely machined parts protected from wear that can be caused by entry of dirt, etc. Just remove the cap and it's right there. And sure, it should be changed occasionally. Remove the entire large cover and the filter is retained by a bolt.

As far as transmission fluid type goes, it seems that most any fluid type has been used by someone with satisfactory performance reported. It's just speculation on my part but this might be worth thinking about: As far as I know today's "kits" have soft friction parts manufactured with GM-type lining materials (non-asbestos) so perhaps GM-type fluid would be an obvious choice. If the soft friction linings (bands, clutches) are original, NOS or NORS, then perhaps using a fluid more like the OEM fluid makes sense. Just a thought - no person observations one way or the other. I use Type F as was installed by the rebuilder (Ross Miller). I use the same fluid in the power steering.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There are opinions on GM and Type F fluids, but nowhere has anyone reported failures or poor performance with any brand/type of fluid. Draw you own conclusion.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I use the Dexron Mercon in my 56 Exec for over 12 years and 25K+ miles now. No problems.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved