Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cork gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
what do you guys use on your cork gaskets before putting them down? just some grease or maybe thin layer of rtv?

i'm going to be doing this soon, so i was just wondering what has worked best for everyone.

i usually just use grease myself.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/1/20 11:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: cork gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On items like oil pans, valve covers, timing chain covers and the like that use cork that I may be removing again in the future, I usually use Permatex to "glue" one side of the gasket to the fixture (pan or valve cover) and use grease on the other so that I can get a good separation if and when the item is removed. I rarely use silicone though I know it has it's virtues. Certainly NEVER use it on anything where the "squeeze-out" could enter the oil pan, gas tank, etc. Many a gas tank repair has had to be redone because a piece of silicone "snot" entered the tank and eventually became drawn into the gas pickup tube.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Been a while since I have done an engine rebuild. I used KW Copper Coat as my sealer. Nice thing abut it was that you could reposition the gasket or part in a reasonable amount of time if needed without loosing your seal.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 15:06
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
isn't that more for metal gaskets, like head and intake manifold, etc...

i did use that stuff on my head gaskets.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 15:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've use the copper spray (napa carries in also) on lots of things with great results. But this is like spray glue, so no chance of reusing the gasket if you have to take something apart later.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
On the valve covers of my '54 Clipper I bought the x-profile o-ring cord stock from McMaster and then bonded it to the covers with some Permatex adhesive. It's nice, I can take them off and put them back on without having to worry about the seal.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:14
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
My favorite is some spray adhesive on both sides it comes off easy and there is little mess.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
isn't that more for metal gaskets, like head and intake manifold, etc...

i did use that stuff on my head gaskets.

Use the original. Comes in a can with the dauber built into the base of the cap.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:57
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, et al: I just finished doing an oil pan cleaning on my 115C. I used 3M Trim Adhesive (black) to secure the new gasket to the pan; then, I lightly coated the engine side of the gasket with some grease. The greased side allowed me to move the pan around to get it into place so as to start the cap screws. It is old school, but works. Also, when I took the pan down the gasket neatly came with the pan as I had followed this same practice in 2006 when I first had the oil pan off of the engine. As Tom says: Cheers!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/20 20:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved