Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

jgrohn, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New Member - New Owner
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Troy
See User information
Hello everyone. I recently aquired a 1952 200 Deluxe and plan to use it mostly as a daily during the summer months here in Michigan. I have searched a great deal on here for converting to 12 volt neg. I know many of you think this is sacreligious to do, however I need the reliability on the road. I have located most parts for this, 3 wire alt, coil, bulbs, condensor and ballast resister,voltage reducers, etc. I also found a schematic on here that is very hepful. My question is what to do with the wires that are currently on the generator and the voltage regulator. The wiring, starter, ign. are in very good shape. I have replaced any cracked or broken wires. I did find extensive written instructions for 1954 Chevy, but do not know if this would be the same. Attached are photos of my car when I purchased it last week and the schematic that I spoke of. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.04 KB)
659_47ffdfd1dcde6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (44.15 KB)
659_47ffdfe3127e2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (55.92 KB)
659_47ffdff296c23.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (43.47 KB)
659_47ffe019f17bd.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (44.50 KB)
659_47ffe02ecd292.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (18.25 KB)
659_47ffe03e8907f.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2008/4/11 17:04
 Top  Print   

Re: New Member - New Owner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

OldGold wrote:
Hello everyone. I recently aquired a 1952 200 Deluxe and plan to use it mostly as a daily during the summer months here in Michigan......

to the Packardinfo site and congratulations on becoming a Packard owner. Plenty of experienced and knowledgeable Packard people here who'll help I'm sure. If you're converting to 12V it should be done the right way rather than have it stuffed up and creating problems. And thanks for adding the '52 to the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 17:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you use an alternator with an internal regulator, then you can simply disconnect the wires that ran between the regulator and the generator, and tuck them away for the future if you ever decide to go back. A 12v coil and a ballast resistor should be used (just use the ones that were used on the '56 models or there modern replacements)

Also you will need to obviously flip the batter around. If you car has a Amp Gauage, then you will need to reverse the wiring on that so it reads correctly. You will also need a step-down voltage regulator for things like the clock, gauges, radio and blower motor, so the 12v doesnt cause them issues.

Also I would advise replacing the 6 volt starter solenoid with a 12v version to prevent any issues with it. Your 6 volt starter should be just fine and is not affected by the polarity change. Obviouisly all the light bulbs in the car will need to be exchange for their 12v cousins.

The diagram above is a good high level overview of how the igntion system should be setup.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 20:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
OldGold-

Let me also welcome you to the site! Your interior looks very livable as a daily driver. I wish mine was that clean on the inside.

What's the deal with the fender and rear quarter? Are you starting some bodywork or is that leftover from the previous owner?

Posted on: 2008/4/11 20:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Troy
See User information
That is left over from the previous owner. The pictures were taken about 5 minutes after I unlaoded from the trailer. The interior has actually cleaned up pretty well compared to the pics. I'm a paint and body man so the multi color is embarresing but livible. I need to get mechanical up to snuff first. I wont be driving it for a couple of months yet.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Welcome and good luck with your purchase!

I did the 12v neg ground conversion earlier this year on a 1950 standard 8. Also used the schematic and replaced light bulbs, installed new alternator, 12v direction indicator switch, 12v coil. The swop to alt was easier than I thought. I disconnected most of my gauges to protect them and make use of an extra 12v volt meter and pilot light to check on the charging.Removed wiring, generator and regulator and keep them for later use maybe. It cleaned up the wiring in the engine bay quite a bit.
I still need to clean up the open wiring under the dash. At present my main and brights stopped working - will need to trace, hope its not he 6v relays!
Please feel free to ask and I can supply some photos if needed.

Barrie

Posted on: 2008/4/11 22:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2008/4/12 3:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Troy
See User information
Thank you for all the help gentlemen. This is the information I was hoping for.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 6:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Hi,

I have a 51,300 that is still running on the original 6 volt positive ground system. I drive the car every day and have never had any trouble with it not starting or any other trouble with the electrical system at all. I've driven the car through the mountains to Reno and back in the dead of winter as well as in the summer with out a hint of trouble. I am a firm believer in leaving things the way the manufacturer intended them to be. Most all cars had 6 volt systems until the mid 50's. They all worked OK. I've had some 50 or more cars over the years and most of them were 6 volt cars and never had much thought about the battery voltage. I would fix what's wrong and leave it 6 volts and just enjoy it.

Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (47.37 KB)
738_48431fb5cda09.jpg 800X536 px

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob,

Welcome to the website! Nice '51 you have there. Please feel free to add it to the Owner's Registry.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved