Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sudden Loss of Power Brake Assist
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Mabry
See User information
56 Exec. has loss of power brake assist about once in every 200 or so applications. Anything to look for? The BTV was rebuilt about two years ago and everything seems fine except for this rather scary problem.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 10:32
Eight in a row, the only way to go.
 Top  Print   

Re: Sudden Loss of Power Brake Assist
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
lostcause Quote:
...The BTV was rebuilt about two years ago and everything seems fine except for this rather scary problem.

"scary" is an understatement! I personally had 4 different, professionally rebuilt BTVs fail over several years -- one was complete failure, i.e., not just no power assist, but no brakes, period.

My solution was to replace the BTV with a modern dual master booster. Several others on this website have done exactly the same or adapted another type modern booster to the firewall. See for details on what I did:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

In the 9 years I have had this setup installed, it has been 100% reliable.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/5/8 10:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps a sticking vacuum check valve. Follow the hose from the booster up to the intake manifold and you'll find the valve. Pretty simple little thing, often can be fixed by just cleaning, sometimes replacing the spring or ball.

EDIT: You said the power assist failed, not the brakes. Thus my guess on the vacuum check valve. If you can't repair it or find an NOS one if needed, they are still used on cars today so you could adapt a modern functional equivalent easily.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If just assist and not entire brakes, one easy place to get to and look is the check valve at the back of carb. If it has a bit of rust or somehow stays open, sometimes the vacuum available in reserve is not sufficient for an application.

If you are losing entire brakes, another matter entirely and a different issue. Other than a bit of cleaning and lube for the piston leather, I don't think rebuilders spend a lot of time (if any) on the vacuum section when doing a rebuild. If the check valve cleaning doesn't help, you would need to have that vacuum portion looked at by someone known to do good work.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tim,
to PackardInfo and good luck in solving the brake problem with the '56 Executive. Was going to ask you to include the Exec in the Packard Owner's Registry when I noticed your signature line of "EIGHT IN A ROW, THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!". So, besides the Exec, could you also include your '39 120 4 Door Sedan?

Posted on: 2012/5/10 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved