Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: help with 53 cavilier!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
To me, if it only dies when you put the car in a gear. Then there is an issue with the transmission. Perhaps the lockup clutch is stuck engaged or something similar.

Kev,

I tend to agree with you that it is probably a transmission related problem. I was thinking a stuck governor. What do you think?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
it has fresh spark plugs. so assuming its transmission related whats my first recommended step of action? i have already changed the tranny fluid not the filter etc idk how to do it right or location yet and my computer refuses to load the manual on here

Posted on: 2012/5/31 22:59
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
do you happen to know if this trans is vaccume assisted of anything like that? i dont see any lines from the trans to vaccume anywhere

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:00
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
and if im suppose to run it in high it sputters and laggs in the pick up wont make it up my hill ether

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:01
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no filter. Just a fine mesh screen. You will most likely need a new gasket when removing the pan so might order one before attempting anything inside. Since you have new fluid, I'd get the engine running better and just drive a bit more (without really pushing anything) to get a feel for operation before doing anything to the trans.

If you have the glass bowl fuel filter, those ceramic elements have been a source of problem. They get clogged and dirty fairly easily if the gas is old or has rust. If the car sat and gas evaporated in the bowl, the filter could be clogged with varnish. A soak in acetone has been recommended if that's a possibility. Another case where a gasket will probably be needed if opened though.

EDIT: there is no vacuum to trans. All is controlled by the throttle linkage at rear passenger side of engine. A long funny looking bent rod from an arm on the cross shaft down to trans. That linkage is one of the most important adjustments on the trans.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Has the trans been re-built? If not then it is definitely due in for a re-build. I'm sure the seals on it are bad, as well as the friction discs. The fact that it struggles going up hill is a tell tale sign that the seals are probably bad. I've re-built several trannys with that same problem, and it always seems to be seals.

-GearRat

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:07
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
keep in mind im a 20 year old trying to keep a project, is there a cheeper alternative for the time being?? i think im going to drive it a bit more see if i can push it out. any de gummer adatives recommended?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:35
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day (gman53)Garrett,
to PackardInfo. Sorry but don't have any advice for you, I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable here. However I invite you to include your '53 Cavalier in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 1:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Garrett, I consider that you have a few stuck valves in your trans valve bodies. You may have a stuck low/high shuttle valve. I doubt that you have a stuck direct drive clutch. It is not a difficult job, just fiddley. You don't have to remove the trans, just drop the pan and remove the valve bodies. You then strip and free up the valves which are accessible, as per the overhaul instructions. The instructions are at info .com in the technical instructions for the Ultra and include photo's of the valves/ springs etc. You do need to make up two T pieces which bolt to the lower trans casting and slip under the low and reverse servos to prevent them from dropping the connecting links when you remove the valve bodies. You also need a very small inch pound torque wrench as it is most important to torque the valve bodies to 5 and 9 ft-lbs as required. It is a PIA lying on your back with the veh on ramps, but it is quite doable. It would cost a few hundred $ to get a shop to do it and they are generally not versed in the Ultra. Have a go yourself and we shall help if we are able. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/6/1 3:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Easy now boys, you will give poor Garrett heart seizure. Reading back through it sure seems as simple as a fuel delivery problem; just enough to idle or only just pull a light load but not enough for any real work.

If the Ultramatic has the famous stuck governor problem the engine will die when placed in gear just as if you had let the clutch out too fast on a stick shift.

Garrett, your fuel system needs to put out a good strong shot of gas with that electric pump running; check it into a jar by disconnecting at the carb.

Of course, you could also have a clogged screen at the carb entrance (under the big brass 3/4") or the swollen needle valve syndrome in the carb, or just the floats set WAY to low.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 5:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved