Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

TxGoat, Don B, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 56 Heater Core Box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
John,

The back of the heater core has a collar that seats into the corresponding opening in the back of the lower heater core box. It is held there by four screws, one on each side with the bottom having a slightly larger screw. The other three screws are the same size as the ones that hold the top of the heater cover to the bottom.

No other insulation was present on disassembly other than around the supply and return lines.

Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 7:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice work, Robert - well worth the effort!

Posted on: 2008/5/7 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Thanks Brian!

Posted on: 2008/5/7 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Robert,
Thanks for the info. I printed out your photo of the open box with the core installed, and you can just see the top of that piece, so I went looking though the parts and finally found the "collar/baffle". Believe it or not, the PO had all of the screws attached to it.
I have one other question for you though. Regarding the "flange" that attaches to the duct pipe and heater core box, and is actually the part that you bolt to the firewall; is there any insulation, or gasket, where it connects to the collar/baffle? Just looking at the way it will go together, it appears that there will be about a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the flange and the heater box.
I think the PO had the core checked and repaired, but I'm going to take it to a radiator shop and have it leak checked anyway before I assemble everything, so I have a little time to play around with making sure it's done right.

Thanks again for the "top notch" info, and if I hadn't said it before, you did a great job!
John

Posted on: 2008/5/7 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
John,
Congratulations on finding the screws intact. It makes the job that much easier.

Attached are a couple more pictures you might find useful.
The first picture shows the back where it will attach to the firewall and you can see the collar sticks out enough to fit snug into the firewall opening. The second picture is the only other gasket which is original and I reused it. I have seen them new from Steele Rubber Company if you need one.

Good luck and thanks for the kind words.

Robert.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.42 KB)
251_4822625fc0ec3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (43.13 KB)
251_482262723fb48.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/7 21:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Very nice, I just took mine off about a week ago, and everything looks alright. However the flap that either blocks or let's air through is a little shady looking. The rubber around the edges of it is fubar, and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was something that I could replace it with. It looks like you can take it apart considering its just stapled in.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The rubber in the damper (flapper) is quite commonly available though I can't quite place where I see it advertised regularly. Perhaps Steele Rubber, perhaps on eBay.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They do just unstaple (VERY hard staples) and the nice die cut flappers are available (didn't see them doing a quick search of Steele). I did mine by going to an industrial supply house and getting a piece of 1/16" neoprene sheet and using what was left of old as a pattern. It was only a few dollars for a pretty good sized piece of rubber & cutting them was no problem-just time.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Ultramatic Dynamics sells the new gaskets ready to install at a very good price. He also has them on eBay all the time. Check the PAC yellow pages for his ad and phone number if you are interested.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 19:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am also in need of those "flapper" gaskets. Peter Finch (UltramaticDynamics) doesnt have them listed on his website and currently doesnt have any items on Ebay. I will give him a call. Usually if you call him he will list a few on ebay. Here is his info btw;

ULTRAMATIC DYNAMICS
Peter Fitch PO Box 1486
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA 22402-1486

Cell: 540846-5309 E-mail: Support@ultramaticdynamics.com
Homepage Address:http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved