Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hole on side of trans tunnel?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hotrodslp
See User information
Just got a 54 clipper deluxe 4 dr. On the drivers side of the trans tunnel I have a ole there. Kinda up front near the gas pedal. Just wondering if there was some sort of access panel to get to the side of the transmission from inside the car? Or just another hole in my floor? The car came without carpet and I'm in the process of filling in the holes in the floor. Just making sure this is one I can close up.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/6/23 19:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Hole on side of trans tunnel?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is not a hole from the factory. The only factory one on the tunnel is at the rear of hump just in front of seat for the vent opening. Apparently someone has tried to cut an access to the Ultra dipstick. If you can use it for that purpose and still fold the carpet to get to it, perhaps a removable cover can be fabricated. If the dipstick is still too far away or at an awkward angle as some who tried have found, might as well cover it permanently.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hotrodslp
See User information
Thanks! Forgot about there being a dipstick there. I will see if it's convenient. I was thinking of making a small panel just held with a couple screws that I could remove if absolutely needed. I'll see what I come up with.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
One of the true mysteries is why on earth did the engineers....rumoured to be the best on the planet, mind you....put the ATF dipstick waaaaaay up there on the side of the trans where it is all put inaccessible....and when you finally do pull it up and over and down and out, the thin, hot ATF fluid has run all over the itty bitty dip stick, making accurate level check well nigh impossible.

What were they thinking?! Why? Why? Why?

Posted on: 2012/6/23 22:58
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, I too have pondered over the lack of access to the oil filler/dipstick. I can only surmise that Packard considered that the General Public 55 or so years ago didn't know a lot about auto transmissions and could top it up with brake fluid /engine oil/ anything. The Ultramatic was very reliable and not normally very leak prone. The tyranny of time of course overcomes the best of intentions. I often used to wonder about the vacuum wipers and then fixed the vacuum pump and wiper motor and Viola! it works silently and well. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/6/24 2:41
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
but..but..but...even on lift, it's well nigh impossible to get an accurate reading of the ATF level, so even for their mechanics it was a bear! Besides, if they didn't want it checked, they could have left the stick out altogether...it just seems so inconsistent (and more than a little sadistic) to put something you obviously want monitored in a place that makes that impossible to accomplish..I just never know if I'm topped up or not.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 8:40
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aside from it being new and perhaps being in unknown territory, I think the location went along with Packards thinking of their core customers.

Those that bought Packards would take their car to a garage for service as they always had and were not typically do it your self type people. Once up on the rack, everything was there for the mechanic to see.

I don't remember other early trans. Were they all equipped with engine compartment dipsticks?

Posted on: 2012/6/24 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Bobby wrote:
...it's well nigh impossible to get an accurate reading of the ATF level...

As a guy whose early Ultramatic leaks like a sieve, I spend a lot of time under the car fiddling with the hidden dipstick. The location is diabolical, and lifting the cap out of the tube and getting it to eye level without inadvertently wiping off the fluid is difficult but it can be done.

Getting the transmission seals replaced is on my short list of things to do, but there are other more important things ahead of that task.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I believe Peter has hit it--the public might just put anything in there if they could get to it. I have seen an engine filled to top of the valve cover with coolant, and I have disassembled an Ultramatic filled with brake fluid.

Plus, if the trans doesn't leave puddles, who needs to check it often?

Studes didn't have an underhood dipstick for the trans. til 58 or 59; can't remember about hydramatics and powerflytes.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Cadillac had the same set up on the Hydramatic only it was on the right hand side and had an access cover. The fluid drive Chryslers had only a plug in the fluid coupling which was also accessed via a floorboard cover and plug.

Given Packard dealers relied very heavily on service for revenue it is fitting that the Ultramaitc would require trained personnel for even routine maintenance. Thus, the location of the dipstick. After trade in the Ultramatic could be very troublesome given it would then end up running low on fluid if leaking.

If the pan is leaking use Mopar ATF-RTV and let the sealer sit for twenty four hours before filling (and use a torque wrench). If the trans is throwing oil out the vent, there is a service bulletin as regards the speedometer gear. If it is installed backwards that will cause problems. I have been told as well that if the filler cap is not vented it will throw oil.

After that there is the front pump seal, TV, tail shaft housing, and shifter.

I have taken care of leaking Ultramatics and had the cars sitting for weeks without a drop of leakage. So they will hold oil.

Today, they are omitting transmission dipsticks altogether.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 14:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved