Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wheel painting question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
What are the circumstances where a wheel would be painted red instead of the body color? That is to say on a postwar Packard. Was it an option?

Posted on: 2012/7/13 14:40
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel painting question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In an overall sense the answer varies with the era of vehicle and you've really got to read the paint and trim color charts to known; there is no simple answer although in the vast majority of cases, the answer is NO. In the years when steel "disteel" wheels were used it wasn't all that uncommon to have a color combination with this type wheel colored other than body color, but that pretty much ended when the steel disc wheels were discontinued (about 1934). With the advent of pressed steel drop center wheels about 1935 for the 120 and 1937 for the seniors, wheels were almost always body color but there are a few limited exceptions. For example if you review the 1941 paint data you'll find that the body color Saratoga Beige was available with Cimmaron Red wheels (a particularly pretty combination!) - but this is one of the few and rare exceptions where such color deviations are actually noted in the paint and color information.

Could you order a car and have the dealer repaint the wheels "red", almost certainly.

Could you order a high value Packard during the so-called pre-war Classic era and have the wheels factory-painted red (or another color), yes.

Could you order a postwar Packard with factory-painted red wheels on a non-red car, unlikely but possible. It could very much depend on how much "clout" the ordering dealer had with the factory.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I know in 1940 you could order the French Blue (light blue) body color with red wheels. Don't remember if that combo was available in other years as well. Jim Hollingsworth in Dallas has a particularly handsome car in that color.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks for all the informative responses.

My primary reason for asking, is that I think it looks great to have red wheels on the car. I've seen some in photographs, and I like the way it looks.

The Packard blue metallic color that my 48 is supposed to be would look extremely nice with red wheels. Of course it is just an accent color because with the trim rings, very little of the color actually shows.

I guess since its my car, I can pretty much paint it whatever color I want. I'm the one that has to live with it. I don't want to stray too far from original, however, hence my post on this topic. I feel now that since it might have been possible, I can get away with it.

After all, to repaint some wheels if I had to , wouldn't be that big a deal.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:59
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
first I agree it's your car and you can do what you wish. Let me offer this summary:

would you lose points at a mixed marque show? probably no
would you lose points at a Packard meet? yes

Careful of the aluminum flake size on the Packard Blue - the original is very fine, not "sparkly"

Posted on: 2012/7/13 16:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
Careful of the aluminum flake size on the Packard Blue - the original is very fine, not "sparkly"

First of all, having had first hand experience in the automotive paint industry since 1975, and also holding a BFA in Painting, I feel that I am qualified to address the issue of automotive paint colors; specifically aluminum flake size.

As a junior in art school in Memphis, TN, I went to work for a RM/Ditzler jobber as a part time color match expert. My knowledge of Alber's color theory, plus natural talent in the area of color, managed to propel me to the position of Color Match Expert. In this area I was responsible for matching colors mostly on foreign makes, specifically, Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar, where no accurate paint formulas existed at that time.

I understand the consternation concerning the misuse of modern paint materials on classic Packards. But there needs to be some understanding with the subject of metallic pigment and the use of modern day aluminum and pearls.

Most of the aluminum pigments utilized in the early metallic colors are no longer used in the industry. They have been replaced by higher quality aluminum pigments, and almost all colors except for the lightest silvers and light color metallics use no aluminum at all. These new colors depend on a broad spectrum of pearls to achieve a metallic appearance. For example, a red metallic will use a red pearl along with transparent red pigments to produce a bright red "candy" appearance that was previously only obtained by the use of a coarse flake, gold or silver metallic base covered by multiple coats of transparent color.

This new color is not a coarse flake, gaudy custom color, but a sophisticated new take on the old candy paint job that was found on many of the Barris and Winfield custom lead sleds of the day. It is suitable for use on modern luxury cars, such as the Lexus, and so on. Many are tri-stage color systems, utilizing a base, intermediate pearl, and a final top clear coat.

These new colors in no way resemble the Metalflake? colors used in the sixties and seventies, and still found on some gelcoat bass boats available today.

I have been studying what's left of the paint on my '48, and I just took the spare wheel to the local PPG jobber to have them scan a portion of the remaining Packard Blue Metallic (code B). What the Prophet System, as it is called, came up with was an unsuitable Saab blue that I couldn't ever be happy with.

Using my eye for color, in my everyday observances, I had already honed in on a color used on the 2007-12 Porsche, a very dark blue known as Nachtblau, or Midnight Blue. Comparing the color chip to the cleaned area of my original Packard wheel, I have come to the conclusion that it will work for me, is very similar to the original color, and most diehard Packard aficionados should also appreciate it. It is formulated with pearls and no metallic pigment, but I think it is a color Macauley would be proud to be seen in.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:20
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Not exactly related, but in the early 60's I worked for the local Buick dealer, it was sort of a standard practice to paint that half an inch or so between the wheelcover and the whitewall red on all the used cars before putting them on the sales lot, made them stand out for the customers.

Dad's 23rd series was that dark Packard blue, probably my favorite Packard color.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There was an ad that featured red wheels on a Custom 8 convertible. It is not often found anywhere.

The red wheel became popular with the introduction of Imron and powder coating.

Personally, I like body color wheels, but I'm sure any dealer would paint wheels for a new car. Heck, they do that today.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I like red wheels!

Attach file:

jpg  (47.93 KB)
226_5000c33fbc776.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That's nice, Mal.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 20:54
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved