Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: HELP! on '54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks. The carb just has one barrel air horn, but apparently it's a two barrel, then. Strange. Are there two venturis? Are both barrels always open, or is it progressive? I would guess not progressive, given how simple the linkage looked.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 21:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, even 4-bbls have a single air horn. And sure, since it's got two barrels it's got two venturis, one for each set of 4 cylinders, both throttle plates operating off the same shaft. No rocket science here, just plain simple carburetion.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Right that, Owen, but what I meant about the air horn is that it LOOKS like a single barrel because of its size. It's not stretched wider like a modern 2-barrel. I may be dumb but I ain't stupid.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 13:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Carb matches the style of the one on my '54 engine. Ignore the head, and look at the engine number on the drivers side, near the back, right below the head. This will tell you exactly what motor you have.

Example: M212345

First Number Postion is the Year Code:

M > 54
L > 53
etc

Second Number Postion is the Size/Type

In 1954 in would be:

2 = 288 Solid Lifter, 5 main (Specials only)
3 = 327 Solid Lifter, 5 main (Deluxes and Supers)
4 = 327 Hyd Lifter, 5 main (Cavaliers)
6 - 359 Hyd Lifter, 9 main (All Seniors)

The other digits are just the sequential production number.

If it was optioned with hydraulic lifters on the "2" and "3" motor there would be a letter suffix at the end. But, i've never seen a '54 block that was optioned with it.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 12:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks, Big Kev. I'm going to see if I have a motor pic I can enlarge enough to read.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 17:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This is as good as I can do, cropping for the area where I think the numbers are. Maybe some of you Photoshop geniuses can find it and decipher it?

Attach file:

jpg  (38.51 KB)
917_5010ca4486fb9.jpg 930X626 px

Posted on: 2012/7/25 23:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Probably requires a wire brush to clean the engine number pad on the block then wipe over with chalk, or something to expose, fill or highlight the stamped numbers, to be able to read the engine number.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.22 KB)
226_5010d2ad33b22.jpg 500X336 px

Posted on: 2012/7/26 0:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Mal said, clean in with a wire brush, and then go over it with white chalk really good, and then wipe it off. The chalk will stay in the stamping marks and make it legible.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 9:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks Mal & Kev. I can't believe I didn't get that done when I was there. But, you know, 100 degrees F can mess with your head a bit.

Here are a couple of other questions that I originally posted on my 3-spd OD thread that someone might know more about. They're not so straightforward:

(Modified previous post follows)

1) This thing has king pins? Rats, what's it cost to fix them?
I mean a ballpark number.

2) The clutch does not engage until the pedal is excessively high IMHO.
What does a clutch go for, if there's no more adjustment left and the friction material is toast?

3) The OD balks, needs to be driven a few miles and then only shifts at about 50 or 55, and there's really no "feel" of it going in when you let off the gas, which I'm used to on past 3-spd OD transmissions ('62 Ford Galaxie) Shouldn't it kind of go "clunk"?. Letting off the accelerator after you think it might have shifted is the only way to tell if it's in OD. Kickdown is also hit-or-miss. Any idea what might be causing the need to get the OD "warmed up" and its shifting behaviors after it is?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to know what I could be getting into with this thing.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 11:16
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1) This thing has king pins? Rats, what's it cost to fix them?
I mean a ballpark number.

That depends in part on how much you're willing and able to do yourself, so assess your own skills and available time. If you're handy with tools and take the time to study the front suspension, it's pretty much self-explanatory though I'd suggest first reading a shop manual - the setup is pretty much same from the late 30s right thru 1956 with just minor differences.

Assuming you have the tools and skill to remove the pins and take the parts and the new bushings to a machine shop to install and burnish/ream the bushings to size, that might cost you about $75 for shop services. The rest after buying the pin kit is just your own time. If you have the tools and understanding you can do this yourself.

If you find a shop competent to do this type of work, it's probably 4-6 hour job; multiply that by their hourly rate and add the cost of the pin kit and you've got it.

Of course you should probably have a full front end alignment done after the installation, so add another perhaps $150.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 13:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved