Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

packard1949, Don B, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Kick-down switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

REverett
See User information
Has anyone got a source for the over drive kick down switch for a '41 110 deluxe (Woody wagon).
Even a pic of one would be helpfull

Rod. activeengr@aol.com

Posted on: 2012/7/17 16:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Kick-down switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ has the two terminal R9 version. If the car is one that had the R11 OD added or R9 changed out to the R11, then it needs a 4 terminal which he also has.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.69 KB)
209_5005de4cce8d1.jpg 433X257 px

jpg  (14.47 KB)
209_5005de55c425a.jpg 1104X105 px

Posted on: 2012/7/17 16:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Don't know if these will help but here are some pic's, taken a few years ago, of the OD kick down switch in my '41 120.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.85 KB)
226_5005dead83970.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.54 KB)
226_5005dec36e143.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.43 KB)
226_5005ded4decd7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/17 16:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
First things first, assuming you haven't already: Did you squirt copious amounts of tuner clean in it, make sure it oozes in there, then work it, check it with a volt/ohmeter?
Certain all the connections are tight, check all wires for continuity, make certain you don't have, assuming your wiring's as it left East Grand 70+ years ago, a rusted/corroded connection/ground?

When/if you had your interior redone, did the upholstery shop lay down thicker underpadding/heavier carpet? Have you recently adjusted or rebuilt any worn
accelerator/carburetor linkage? Just covering all the bases before you replace your kickdown switch. It's not like they got a lotta use, as switches go.

I assumed my kickdown switch stopped working, when a veteran Packard friend reminded me you have to really mash the accelerator to the floor. I hopped in, took it down the road, and it kicked down as Packard and the Great Spirit intended.

Once in a blue moon, if i have need to gear down, as with a traffic slow down on sustained grade, i downshift into second gear overdrive. I never liked that momentary
flooring of the gas pedal. Am i the only one?

Chrysler, in 1940 and/or '41,
had a kickdown button at the end of the column shift lever.

A fellow who drove a '41 Packard Darrin back in the '50s
told me he installed a doorbell button on or under his dash so he could kickdown without flooring the accelerator.

If you really need to replace it, call Steve Messenger at Just Packards, Napa, CA 1 (707) 254-2046. Tell him a black '47 Super Clipper in Walnut Creek sent you.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I agree with Mike that it is not really good on the drive train to apply Herculean pressure to the throttle in order to regain Direct Third or Second. I have installed a dash switch on my R6 o/d fitted cars, but would recommend that a change to Second Overdrive as Mike suggested, ( slightly lower gearing than Direct Third) would return your engine braking or acceleration to city or very hilly mode. I have managed to obtain first overdrive but it was of no practical use so I did it only once....I swear... (in 1974).

Posted on: 2012/7/18 2:26
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

REverett
See User information
Thanks to all of you. This has been a big help and problem solved.

Rod

Posted on: 2012/7/18 10:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved