Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do I advance the timing on my '49 Deluxe 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
OK, so I feel kinda dumb having to ask this but every time I THINK I know something about cars (like that the NEGATIVE side of the battery is the ground, not on my Packard!) this car proves me wrong, so, how do I advance the timing a touch? I marked EXACTLY where it is now on the distributor and the block, I loosened the hold down bolt, I loosened the OTHER hold down (they don't make 'em like they used to!) and I still only get 1/4 clockwise turn and it returns where it was, do these have to be running to move them or is there some other Packard trick that I don't know about? Thanks. Steve

Posted on: 2012/8/19 23:19
 Top  Print   

Re: How do I advance the timing on my '49 Deluxe 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
I know one thing, if this car is not running by next weekend I will be selling it. I park GM's in my driveway and they run PERFECT! I won't have any rag a$$ non runners!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 0:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
A 1/4 turn? Of the distributor? Why are you doing that?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 5:32
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I hope the 1/4 turn is a typo, I'm guessing that a 48 setup is the same as my 38. Those 2 bolts allow adjustment for the fuel compensator(allows a few degrees of advance or retard). For major timing adjusting there is a screw clamp at the base of the dist, loosen the screw and you can turn the dist all over the place.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 6:08
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
1/4 INCH of clockwise turn, sorry about that, I suck a typing when I am NOT tired. Thanks for the tip! Steve

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, in so far as starting is concerned, those engines are not particularly sensitive to timing, a couple of degrees either way isn't the difference between starting and not starting, and arbitrarily rotating the distributor 1/4 in would not, in my view be adviseable since you don't even know now where the timing is, you're just guessing it's not right. It was right enough for the engine to start and run before so unless you've changed it, it's right enough for it to start and run now.

Assuming you replaced the points and condensor as was suggested a couple of days ago, I'm not at this point convinced your problem is even ignition. I'm focusing on the symptom of backfiring thru the carburetor and it almost starts but as soon as you relax the starter, it fails to keep running - is that right? Backfire thru the intake indicates a very lean fuel mixture as others have already pointed out. You said your accelertor jets worked (the two streams of gas you saw when stroking the carb linkage), but Im now wondering if your carburetor main jets are plugged or severely restricted. "Kind of" fits the symptoms.

If you haven't yet replaced the points and condenser, or at least filed the points and replaced the condenser, it remains the first thing to do.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear NC:

Maybe the car isn't running because the timing is so far off it won't fire.

You can remove the hood by releasing both sides with the hood down and having two people lift it off. From there you can look for the timing marks on the damper. They may be hard to find. Mark them at 6 degrees and the line up with the distributor using a test light and rotating the distributor clock wise until the test light goes out. Bolt everything up and recheck with the motor running.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 15:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Ignition Training Manual on the website here was very usefully for me in understanding how everything worked and how to get the points damn near perfect out of the gate.

All of the Serviceman's Training manuals are excellent primers and the Shop Manuals assumes you have already gone through them. They really contain all the missing info that you would expect to be in the Shop Manual.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 15:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (53.96 KB)
4828_5032a03883ed7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/8/20 15:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved