Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Vent Hole
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Is there a vent hole on the ultramatic transmission. If there is, where can I find it and are they commonly clogged?

I had a big trans leak before, changed out the pan gasket, everything stopped and there was no leak after I filled it back up. Then I ran it a once or twice, no leak. Now I back it up in the driveway and there is a leak. It is coming from above the gasket somewhere on the main body of the trans. The fact that it did not leak before and now is, to me says a pressure leak, but I am no mechanic.

Any help?

Posted on: 2013/10/5 7:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Vent Hole
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is a vent shaped like an elbow screwed into the left side of the case about halfway up. I have never seen one plugged up, tho running the trans up to 60 in low might make it come out there.

The more typical leaks are band adjuster screws, selector shaft and throttle shaft seals.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Not a mere vent hole, but something that looks similar to an elbow fitting, which the factory calls a "breather".

The 55-56 parts book shows it (Plate No. 35) on the LH side of the case (Gr. 3.5062).

Once you know what you're looking for, it can also be seen - more clearly - in Figs. 16, 20, 34, 156, and 161 from the Twin Ultramatic section of the 55-56 shop manual; keep in mind that the case is shown inverted for overhaul.

Check the Twin Ultramatic section of 55-56 installment for this site's Service Index, and you'll find an entry for "Leaks" that point you to related topics that may be of help.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
So I cleaned up under the trans and noticed it was leaking from the farthest back acutuator on the passenger side of the car. I tried downloading the manual but it has been 20 min now and still no luck.

What is this actuator and how do I get it to stop leaking. It has a little back and forth play to it.

Thank you for patience with my ignorance and slow computer.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If actuator means a lever connected to a funny shaped rod, the passenger side is the throttle linkage. There is a seal around the shaft which will have to be replaced to stop the leak. A similar but beefier arrangement on the drivers side is the manual shift linkage which also has a seal that can leak.

If the manual finally downloads and you decide to replace the seal, adjustment on the throttle linkage is most important. Follow the book adjustment procedure or make very sure to mark things before disassembly so the lever goes back in exactly the same place on the shaft.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Is the seal a packard only part from kanter or what not or is it like a o-ring seal?

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/11/6 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's just a standard type seal, not a Packard-only part. But unless someone gives you a modern interchange # or you want to take the old one out and get the measurements from it and have our local parts store chase it down, it's probably easier to get it from someone like Pete Fitch (Ultramatic Dynamics), Kanter, or Max.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The Twin Ultramatic section of the 55-56 shop manual (p. 45) confirms this is a lip type seal, not o-ring.

My notes from past discussion show CR #3683 as interchange for OE #421372 (Gr. 3.587). SKF acquired Chicago Rawhide back in 1990, but in more recent years, has been transitioning the CR brand to SKF.

I also show interchange to Victor #48816 and National #340385, but have not verified them.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used the SKF 3683 from Motion Industries ($5.82 plus s/h 06/04/2013) to replace OE 421372 for the throttle valve lever. I believe that it fits all Ultramatics 1950-1955 (but not 1956).

Posted on: 2013/11/6 11:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved